SALT LAKE CITY — Matt Asiata isn't all that excited to be the first University of Utah running back to rush for 100 yards in a game this season. He netted 109 in last week's 30-6 win at Wyoming.
"I really don't care. As a team player, I was just trying to help my team win," Asiata said. "That's our main focus with the running backs."
Co-starters Asiata and Eddie Wide have combined for 692 yards on 137 rushes through six games, teaming for a 115.3 yards per game average.
"Both Matt and Eddie are team guys and neither one has a selfish bone on their bodies. They are co-existing very well," said Utah coach Kyle Whittingham. "They want to win. That's the bottom line. Whether we get the win or not, that's really their whole entire focus."
Asiata noted that the running backs simply want to be productive and hold on to the football. Everything else is secondary.
"Eddie and I are not selfish," Asiata said.
As such, they're not worried about 100-yard games or 1,000-yard seasons.
"It takes care of itself," Asiata explained before deflecting credit. "I owe a lot to the O-line. They are the main reason why I got that 100 yards on Saturday."
RESTED UTES: Whittingham acknowledged that Utah's numerous lopsided games, thus far, have been beneficial — especially when it comes to not having to overuse several frontline stars.
"We've been able to keep them fresh and minimize the wear and tear," he said. "But we've got a tough six-game stretch. So we've got to be ready for that, obviously."
EXTRA POINTS: Whittingham can clinch his seventh consecutive winning season as Utah's head coach with a victory over Colorado State. ... Defensive lineman Tevita Finau, who originally committed to West Virginia, has one tackle in two games with the Utes. ... Women's tennis coach Mat Iandolo will be honored with the Don Reddish Coach of the Year Award at Saturday's football game. His team will also be recognized for winning the Mountain West Conference championship.
Utes on the air
Colorado State (2-5) at No. 9 Utah (6-0)
Saturday, 4 p.m.
TV: The mtn. Radio: 700 AMutah notebook
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26