As part of Utah's agreement to join the league, the Utes won't receive a full share of Pac-12 television revenue until 2014.
On the basketball front, the presidents and chancellors approved an 18-game league schedule. In all sports, where applicable, Utah and Colorado will be travel partners. The basketball schedule will include home-and-home games against seven teams and a yearly rotation with the four others.
When Utah and Colorado join the league, the conference will officially change its name to the Pac-12. The Utes have been in the Mountain West Conference since the league was formed in 1999, while the Buffaloes are moving over from the Big 12.
Utah's revenue shares
A Pac-12 revenue sharing plan was approved by the conference's presidents and chancellors on Thursday. When a new television contract is in place for 2012-13, the league will begin the policy of equal shares. UCLA and USC will receive stipends of $2 million per year until conference television revenue reaches $170 million or for five years, whichever comes first. The ACC's new contract is $150 million, but recent deals for the Big Ten and SEC are in excess of $200 million. All other revenue, such as NCAA basketball and bowl revenue, is already shared equally.
The Utes, though, have a unique arrangement — agreed upon when they were invited to join the league. Here's the details:
2011-12: No shares unless new money is created by the addition of Colorado and Utah. The Utes, however, will be entitled to an equal share of Pac-12 Championship Game television revenue, as well as ticket sales and other income.
2012-13: Utah will receive a 50 percent distribution of all league revenue. For example: If each school gets $16 million, Utah will get $8 million.
2013-14: Utah will receive a 75 percent distribution of all league revenue. For example: If each school gets $16 million, Utah will get $12 million.
2014-15: Utah will receive a 100 percent distribution of all league revenue. For example: If each school gets $16 million, Utah will get $16 million.
SOURCE: Utah Sports Information
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- Duke's Jabari Parker faces tough stay-or-go...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- BYU basketball: Cougars leery of facing...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Tournament central: 5A boys championship live...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up short...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 56
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 49
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 47
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 29
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28