SALT LAKE CITY — Two new judges have been appointed to the 3rd District Court bench by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Attorneys Andrew Stone and Charlene Barlow would serve Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit Counties in their new posts.
Herbert had high praise for both candidates, citing their "extensive experience."
"Their understanding of the challenges imposed by factually and legally complex cases will be a tremendous asset to the judiciary," he said.
Stone worked as a commercial litigation trial attorney in the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. He is currently working at the law firm of Jones, Waldo, Holbrook & McDonough.
"For the past 20 years, Andy Stone has distinguished himself as a litigator, defending businesses in antitrust, trade-secret and intellectual-property matters. Andy's history of litigating sophisticated and high-profile cases will prove invaluable as he presides over the 3rd District Court," Herbert said.
Stone is slated to take the bench following the retirement of Judge Stephen L. Henriod on Dec. 31.
Barlow received her law degree from BYU and is currently serving as the section chief of the Criminal Division of the Utah Attorney General's Office. She has also been the Provo city attorney and Orem city attorney and worked as a prosecutor for the Utah County Attorney's Office.
"Over the course of her career, Charlene has developed a well-deserved reputation for fairness, hard work and intelligence," Herbert said.
Barlow is set to replace Judge Michele Christiansen, who was appointed to the Utah Court of Appeals in May.
Both Barlow and Stone's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
— Emiley Morgan
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Most wanted fugitive arrested in West Valley...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Thousands get in on blue foam craze for...
- UVU now the largest university in Utah, new...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 62
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 41
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 41
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 33
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 26
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 19
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17