SALT LAKE CITY — Two new judges have been appointed to the 3rd District Court bench by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Attorneys Andrew Stone and Charlene Barlow would serve Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit Counties in their new posts.
Herbert had high praise for both candidates, citing their "extensive experience."
"Their understanding of the challenges imposed by factually and legally complex cases will be a tremendous asset to the judiciary," he said.
Stone worked as a commercial litigation trial attorney in the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. He is currently working at the law firm of Jones, Waldo, Holbrook & McDonough.
"For the past 20 years, Andy Stone has distinguished himself as a litigator, defending businesses in antitrust, trade-secret and intellectual-property matters. Andy's history of litigating sophisticated and high-profile cases will prove invaluable as he presides over the 3rd District Court," Herbert said.
Stone is slated to take the bench following the retirement of Judge Stephen L. Henriod on Dec. 31.
Barlow received her law degree from BYU and is currently serving as the section chief of the Criminal Division of the Utah Attorney General's Office. She has also been the Provo city attorney and Orem city attorney and worked as a prosecutor for the Utah County Attorney's Office.
"Over the course of her career, Charlene has developed a well-deserved reputation for fairness, hard work and intelligence," Herbert said.
Barlow is set to replace Judge Michele Christiansen, who was appointed to the Utah Court of Appeals in May.
Both Barlow and Stone's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
— Emiley Morgan
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 53
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 14
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10