SALT LAKE CITY — Two new judges have been appointed to the 3rd District Court bench by Gov. Gary Herbert.
Attorneys Andrew Stone and Charlene Barlow would serve Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit Counties in their new posts.
Herbert had high praise for both candidates, citing their "extensive experience."
"Their understanding of the challenges imposed by factually and legally complex cases will be a tremendous asset to the judiciary," he said.
Stone worked as a commercial litigation trial attorney in the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. He is currently working at the law firm of Jones, Waldo, Holbrook & McDonough.
"For the past 20 years, Andy Stone has distinguished himself as a litigator, defending businesses in antitrust, trade-secret and intellectual-property matters. Andy's history of litigating sophisticated and high-profile cases will prove invaluable as he presides over the 3rd District Court," Herbert said.
Stone is slated to take the bench following the retirement of Judge Stephen L. Henriod on Dec. 31.
Barlow received her law degree from BYU and is currently serving as the section chief of the Criminal Division of the Utah Attorney General's Office. She has also been the Provo city attorney and Orem city attorney and worked as a prosecutor for the Utah County Attorney's Office.
"Over the course of her career, Charlene has developed a well-deserved reputation for fairness, hard work and intelligence," Herbert said.
Barlow is set to replace Judge Michele Christiansen, who was appointed to the Utah Court of Appeals in May.
Both Barlow and Stone's appointments are subject to confirmation by the Utah Senate.
— Emiley Morgan
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to rally...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 158
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 73
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 46
- Police release names of officers... 35
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 32
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 20
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18