OREM — Former NFL and NBA athletes with Utah ties have stepped forward to raise money for the family of a 13-year-old Orem girl alledgedly killed by a vehicle driven by another 13-year-old last week. The fundraiser is a fishing expedition to Strawberry Reservoir.
Madison Mechum died on Tuesday, Oct. 5, from injuries suffered when she was hit by a car while waiting for a school bus.
Former Philadelphia Eagle players Chad Lewis and Reno Mahe have joined former Dallas Maverick center Shawn Bradley, Hans Olsen, composer Kurt Bestor and KSL sportscaster Rod Zundel in asking fishermen to join them Wednesday, Oct. 20, at Strawberry Marina for a fishing expedition.
The group has secured a bevy of large pontoon boats to make the experience comfortable and as of Monday afternoon, three boats had been filled with 18 more available. Zundel, who is organizing the event, said he scouted out Strawberry on Monday and caught 40 fish including three of which were more than 22 inches long.
"We'll meet at 7 a.m. at Strawberry Marina," said Zundel. "Cost is $1,000 per boat (five people) and $200 for a single."
To sign up, call Zundel at 801-575-5539.
A celebrity will be on each boat and a lunch consisting of pulled pork, dutch-oven baked beans and cobbler will be provided.
Money raised will go toward saving the home, paying for death and funeral expenses of Madison's survivors, who are victims of a well-publicized Ponzi scheme that defrauded them of insurance money after Madison's father was killed in a traffic accident on I-15 five years ago.
Madison is survived by her mother (Paige) and sister (Marney) who live in Orem.
Funeral services are Tuesday at the Aspen LDS Stake Center, 950 West, 2000 North, Orem at 2 p.m. A fund has been set up at Zion's Bank with contributions made out to the Madison Mechum Fund.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18