SALT LAKE CITY — Jazz coach Jerry Sloan is still deciding who will start and — more important to him — finish games.
With Mehmet Okur out rehabbing from Achilles heel surgery, Al Jefferson is a likely starter at center. Deron Williams, if no longer suffering stomach issues, is a no-brainer at point guard. But it remains to be seen who else will be on the court at tipoff tonight when Portland visits EnergySolutions Arena.
Veteran Raja Bell was mentioned as a possible starter by Sloan early in camp, but it's possible C.J. Miles could also slide into that shooting guard spot.
Sloan has options between starting Paul Millsap and Andrei Kirilenko at power forward, with Miles and Kirilenko seemingly top candidates at small forward.
Of course, Sloan could throw a curve ball and start rookie Gordon Hayward — a move that could help the No. 9 overall pick play with more seasoned guys and save an experienced player like Miles and/or Kirilenko to provide a key spark in a reserve role.
Sloan plans to let it work itself out through the preseason.
"I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep about it, because we have to have somebody come off the bench," Sloan said. "And I've always preferred to have a veteran player that knows how to start up automatically."
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35