SALT LAKE CITY — Jazz coach Jerry Sloan is still deciding who will start and — more important to him — finish games.
With Mehmet Okur out rehabbing from Achilles heel surgery, Al Jefferson is a likely starter at center. Deron Williams, if no longer suffering stomach issues, is a no-brainer at point guard. But it remains to be seen who else will be on the court at tipoff tonight when Portland visits EnergySolutions Arena.
Veteran Raja Bell was mentioned as a possible starter by Sloan early in camp, but it's possible C.J. Miles could also slide into that shooting guard spot.
Sloan has options between starting Paul Millsap and Andrei Kirilenko at power forward, with Miles and Kirilenko seemingly top candidates at small forward.
Of course, Sloan could throw a curve ball and start rookie Gordon Hayward — a move that could help the No. 9 overall pick play with more seasoned guys and save an experienced player like Miles and/or Kirilenko to provide a key spark in a reserve role.
Sloan plans to let it work itself out through the preseason.
"I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep about it, because we have to have somebody come off the bench," Sloan said. "And I've always preferred to have a veteran player that knows how to start up automatically."
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 111
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 71
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45