COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — BYU senior guard Jimmer Fredette and San Diego State sophomore forward Kawhi Leonard have been named to the 2010-11 John R. Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 list, announced Monday by The Los Angeles Athletic Club.
The Mountain West is one of nine conferences represented by multiple candidates on the list, which is comprised of 50 student-athletes who, based on last year's individual performance and team records, are the early frontrunners for college basketball's most prestigious honor.
Fredette is one of four seniors returning from past Wooden Award ballots, joining Duke's Kyle Singler, Purdue's Robbie Hummel and Michigan State's Kalin Lucas.
The Glens Falls, N.Y., native led the Mountain West in scoring (22.1 ppg) while dishing out a team-high 4.7 assists per game last season en route to earning first-team all-MWC accolades. In addition to garnering Associated Press All-America honorable mention, Fredette was named to the Sporting News All-America Third Team. He also earned All-District honors from the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA). He was named the District VIII Player of the Year by the USBWA.
—Deseret News staff and wire services
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27