"I believe in teamwork, and I must be part of a dozen teams. I love how much I learn from other people. I try to keep my mind open all the time, and I love to be able to say, 'I never thought of it that way.' "
She agreed to work on the anti-porn issue because "I've known so many people whose lives were being ruined by what I call a scourge." Utah, she says, has an abnormally high rate of porn use.
She seldom says no to a good cause that impacts children. And she's on several boards, including that of the BMW Bank of North America. On the surface, it seems a little odd. She lives in an unpretentious house but drives a silver BMW, part of the pay for being a board member. She also gets a check, she explains, for every meeting she attends. She never misses one.
Money she makes on boards is her God-wants-me-to-help-others fund. She uses it to buy medicine for the homeless mom or a bus ticket home for a man who hasn't seen his family in more than a decade. It's money to pay the rent for a family that needs a break. She takes care to see that she gives away every penny.
Her final world revolves around family. She has 10 grandchildren, all boys. And six of them live just around the corner. So she plays happily in the world of sleepovers with grandma and board games and hugs and movies and fun. And there — as in all her worlds — she says she leans to "Why not?" She is prone, she notes, to shooting down "We can't do that" with "Why can't we?"
"Sometimes, barriers in life are meant to be tackled and taken down."
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy shine...
- Festival celebrates cultural traditions
- Photos: Here comes the sun
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 33
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 30
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11