"I believe in teamwork, and I must be part of a dozen teams. I love how much I learn from other people. I try to keep my mind open all the time, and I love to be able to say, 'I never thought of it that way.' "
She agreed to work on the anti-porn issue because "I've known so many people whose lives were being ruined by what I call a scourge." Utah, she says, has an abnormally high rate of porn use.
She seldom says no to a good cause that impacts children. And she's on several boards, including that of the BMW Bank of North America. On the surface, it seems a little odd. She lives in an unpretentious house but drives a silver BMW, part of the pay for being a board member. She also gets a check, she explains, for every meeting she attends. She never misses one.
Money she makes on boards is her God-wants-me-to-help-others fund. She uses it to buy medicine for the homeless mom or a bus ticket home for a man who hasn't seen his family in more than a decade. It's money to pay the rent for a family that needs a break. She takes care to see that she gives away every penny.
Her final world revolves around family. She has 10 grandchildren, all boys. And six of them live just around the corner. So she plays happily in the world of sleepovers with grandma and board games and hugs and movies and fun. And there — as in all her worlds — she says she leans to "Why not?" She is prone, she notes, to shooting down "We can't do that" with "Why can't we?"
"Sometimes, barriers in life are meant to be tackled and taken down."
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7