USU, BYU football: Aggies steam to 31-16 victory over Cougars
Aggies dominate stumbling Cougars in Logan
The Cougars showed some signs of life on their next series, which began with a 34-yard kickoff return by Logan native J.D. Falslev. Heaps completed a 21-yard pass to Devin Mahina to put BYU in USU territory. On third-and-8 from the Aggies' 20, Heaps' pass was nearly picked off by cornerback Chris Randle out in the flat. Had Randle caught the ball, he likely would have returned it for a touchdown. Instead, the ball went through his hands and into the arms of Cougar receiver Cody Hoffman for a nine-yard catch.
Still, BYU was unable to capitalize, settling for a 23-yard field goal by Mitch Payne. But it did put the Cougars on the scoreboard, making it 17-3.
But the Aggies weren't done yet.
USU's Kerwynn Williams returned the ensuing kickoff 67 yards, setting up a two-yard touchdown run by Derrvin Speight. And the Aggies ran into the locker room with a commanding 24-3 lead at halftime.
BYU's woes continued in the second half. After holding USU on its first possession, the Cougars advanced to the USU 31 before Heaps threw three straight incompletions — two of them into the end zone. BYU came up empty again when Payne missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt.
USU answered with another touchdown, on a one-yard run by Speight, to put the Aggies up 31-3.
The Cougars finally reached the end zone in the third quarter on a one-yard run by Bryan Kariya. It was BYU's first second-half touchdown since the season-opening victory over Washington.
In the fourth quarter, the Cougars had a chance to cut even more into that deficit, but Heaps threw his second interception of the game.
BYU managed to get back into the end zone with 31 seconds remaining in the game on a three-yard run by J.J. DiLuigi to make the final score 31-16.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39