USU, BYU football: Aggies steam to 31-16 victory over Cougars
Aggies dominate stumbling Cougars in Logan
The Cougars showed some signs of life on their next series, which began with a 34-yard kickoff return by Logan native J.D. Falslev. Heaps completed a 21-yard pass to Devin Mahina to put BYU in USU territory. On third-and-8 from the Aggies' 20, Heaps' pass was nearly picked off by cornerback Chris Randle out in the flat. Had Randle caught the ball, he likely would have returned it for a touchdown. Instead, the ball went through his hands and into the arms of Cougar receiver Cody Hoffman for a nine-yard catch.
Still, BYU was unable to capitalize, settling for a 23-yard field goal by Mitch Payne. But it did put the Cougars on the scoreboard, making it 17-3.
But the Aggies weren't done yet.
USU's Kerwynn Williams returned the ensuing kickoff 67 yards, setting up a two-yard touchdown run by Derrvin Speight. And the Aggies ran into the locker room with a commanding 24-3 lead at halftime.
BYU's woes continued in the second half. After holding USU on its first possession, the Cougars advanced to the USU 31 before Heaps threw three straight incompletions — two of them into the end zone. BYU came up empty again when Payne missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt.
USU answered with another touchdown, on a one-yard run by Speight, to put the Aggies up 31-3.
The Cougars finally reached the end zone in the third quarter on a one-yard run by Bryan Kariya. It was BYU's first second-half touchdown since the season-opening victory over Washington.
In the fourth quarter, the Cougars had a chance to cut even more into that deficit, but Heaps threw his second interception of the game.
BYU managed to get back into the end zone with 31 seconds remaining in the game on a three-yard run by J.J. DiLuigi to make the final score 31-16.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25