USU, BYU football: Aggies steam to 31-16 victory over Cougars
Aggies dominate stumbling Cougars in Logan
The Cougars showed some signs of life on their next series, which began with a 34-yard kickoff return by Logan native J.D. Falslev. Heaps completed a 21-yard pass to Devin Mahina to put BYU in USU territory. On third-and-8 from the Aggies' 20, Heaps' pass was nearly picked off by cornerback Chris Randle out in the flat. Had Randle caught the ball, he likely would have returned it for a touchdown. Instead, the ball went through his hands and into the arms of Cougar receiver Cody Hoffman for a nine-yard catch.
Still, BYU was unable to capitalize, settling for a 23-yard field goal by Mitch Payne. But it did put the Cougars on the scoreboard, making it 17-3.
But the Aggies weren't done yet.
USU's Kerwynn Williams returned the ensuing kickoff 67 yards, setting up a two-yard touchdown run by Derrvin Speight. And the Aggies ran into the locker room with a commanding 24-3 lead at halftime.
BYU's woes continued in the second half. After holding USU on its first possession, the Cougars advanced to the USU 31 before Heaps threw three straight incompletions — two of them into the end zone. BYU came up empty again when Payne missed a 48-yard field-goal attempt.
USU answered with another touchdown, on a one-yard run by Speight, to put the Aggies up 31-3.
The Cougars finally reached the end zone in the third quarter on a one-yard run by Bryan Kariya. It was BYU's first second-half touchdown since the season-opening victory over Washington.
In the fourth quarter, the Cougars had a chance to cut even more into that deficit, but Heaps threw his second interception of the game.
BYU managed to get back into the end zone with 31 seconds remaining in the game on a three-yard run by J.J. DiLuigi to make the final score 31-16.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Utah basketball: No. 14 Runnin' Utes... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15