CENTERVILLE — It will be open in time for "Breaking Dawn."
That's what Centerville Mayor Ronald Russell can tell his residents, who continue to ask him about the status of the Larry H. Miller Megaplex slated for his city.
No doubt, plenty of Davis County residents will line up to see the fourth movie based on Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" saga novels.
Thursday, Russell, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell, Gail Miller, owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, and Greg Miller, the group's CEO, broke ground on the first Megaplex in Davis County.
The 14-screen theater, which will include a digital IMAX screen, will be located at Legacy Crossing, between I-15 and Legacy Parkway near Parrish Lane.
When the theater opens in a year, the Larry H. Miller Group will own 84 screens in Utah.
Construction is expected to begin immediately. The theater project, which has been in the works for more than a year, is expected to bring premiere movie and dining entertainment to southern Davis County.
"We're hoping to bring some life and vibrance to the west side of Centerville," said Dan Bridenstine, the project's local developer.
The theater, and accompanying retail stores, are expected to draw 1 million people a year.
Within 100 days, the Legacy Crossing development will also begin construction on more than 200 units of residential apartments on the 28-acre site.
The theater fills a "void" in the Larry H. Miller Group's theater chain, said Greg Miller.
A Megaplex is located in Ogden, 23 miles to the north. And one is located at the Gateway in Salt Lake City, 13 miles to the south.
Later, Greg Miller tweeted that he approved plans to expand the Megaplex at Thanksgiving Point to 17 screens.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Q-and-A with Val Hale: a 'pretty...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- How much of your paycheck do you take home?
- Why one inner-city kid didn't sell drugs to...
- NASA's Maven spacecraft enters Mars orbit
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air proposal...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 5
- PepsiCo latest sponsor to voice NFL... 4
- Rebate or tax credit? Clean air... 4
- Where’s the app for an earthquake... 2
- Bus ads bringing thousands of dollars... 2
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason... 1
- Guilty verdict in peanut trial should... 1