CENTERVILLE — It will be open in time for "Breaking Dawn."
That's what Centerville Mayor Ronald Russell can tell his residents, who continue to ask him about the status of the Larry H. Miller Megaplex slated for his city.
No doubt, plenty of Davis County residents will line up to see the fourth movie based on Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" saga novels.
Thursday, Russell, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell, Gail Miller, owner of the Larry H. Miller Group of Companies, and Greg Miller, the group's CEO, broke ground on the first Megaplex in Davis County.
The 14-screen theater, which will include a digital IMAX screen, will be located at Legacy Crossing, between I-15 and Legacy Parkway near Parrish Lane.
When the theater opens in a year, the Larry H. Miller Group will own 84 screens in Utah.
Construction is expected to begin immediately. The theater project, which has been in the works for more than a year, is expected to bring premiere movie and dining entertainment to southern Davis County.
"We're hoping to bring some life and vibrance to the west side of Centerville," said Dan Bridenstine, the project's local developer.
The theater, and accompanying retail stores, are expected to draw 1 million people a year.
Within 100 days, the Legacy Crossing development will also begin construction on more than 200 units of residential apartments on the 28-acre site.
The theater fills a "void" in the Larry H. Miller Group's theater chain, said Greg Miller.
A Megaplex is located in Ogden, 23 miles to the north. And one is located at the Gateway in Salt Lake City, 13 miles to the south.
Later, Greg Miller tweeted that he approved plans to expand the Megaplex at Thanksgiving Point to 17 screens.
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Black Friday mayhem: A tale of humor and...
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick meal,...
- Mark Zuckerberg is taking two months...
- Dino to help kick off Sinclair’s...
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- Dog blood bank in desperate need of 'canine...
- Small Business Saturday carves out place...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 26
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees 14
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 8
- Pfizer, Allergan $160B deal forms... 7
- Utah liquor commission going slow on... 4
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco... 2
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic... 2
- Yahoo's CEO is running out of time to... 1