Mulderig realizes that Catholics and Latter-day Saints, who make up a significant percentage of Deseret News readership, share many common beliefs and are united in opposition to the glorification of violence, the demeaning of human sexuality, and the undermining of traditional marriage and family life.
"I trust our analysis of the approach to these subjects in contemporary film would be a welcome source of information," Mulderig said. "While the moral and artistic criteria are, in a sense, inextricable, a secular review may only tell readers whether a film is an aesthetic success. By contrast, we always emphasize the moral and spiritual values underlying a film, values which are linked to, but take precedence over, purely cinematic considerations."
CNS rating system
A look at the system used by the Catholic News Service, which can be used to supplement ratings from the Motion Picture Association of America:
A-I (general patronage) — Any film free from significant objectionable content.
A-II (adults and adolescents) — Can be either films appropriate for anyone over the age of 13, or for "older teens." Do not contain nudity, overt sexual activity, bloody violence or use of foul language.
A-III (adults) — This classification strikes a balance between those with a wide tolerance for edgy subject matter and those who find certain elements less palatable.
L (limited adult audience) — A highly restrictive classification for films with problematic content that many adults would find troubling.
O (morally offensive) — Films that feature excessive violence, gratuitous sexuality and laden, for no artistically valid reason, with non-stop vulgarity. Can also be films that directly contradict Catholic Church teachings.
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- Coloring books offer adults something they...
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares...
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes
- 'Music and the Spoken Word': When Christmas...
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown...
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of 'Ave...
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for gratitude on...
- Steve Eaton: 'Bewitched' apparitions... 8
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 5
- BYUtv docudrama 'Joan of Arc' shares... 2
- 6 things to help you cope with the end... 2
- Lexi Walker performs arrangement of... 2
- These touching Christmas ads will melt... 1
- 29 of the best Christmas movie quotes 1
- Surprising success: 'A Charlie Brown... 1