Mulderig realizes that Catholics and Latter-day Saints, who make up a significant percentage of Deseret News readership, share many common beliefs and are united in opposition to the glorification of violence, the demeaning of human sexuality, and the undermining of traditional marriage and family life.
"I trust our analysis of the approach to these subjects in contemporary film would be a welcome source of information," Mulderig said. "While the moral and artistic criteria are, in a sense, inextricable, a secular review may only tell readers whether a film is an aesthetic success. By contrast, we always emphasize the moral and spiritual values underlying a film, values which are linked to, but take precedence over, purely cinematic considerations."
CNS rating system
A look at the system used by the Catholic News Service, which can be used to supplement ratings from the Motion Picture Association of America:
A-I (general patronage) — Any film free from significant objectionable content.
A-II (adults and adolescents) — Can be either films appropriate for anyone over the age of 13, or for "older teens." Do not contain nudity, overt sexual activity, bloody violence or use of foul language.
A-III (adults) — This classification strikes a balance between those with a wide tolerance for edgy subject matter and those who find certain elements less palatable.
L (limited adult audience) — A highly restrictive classification for films with problematic content that many adults would find troubling.
O (morally offensive) — Films that feature excessive violence, gratuitous sexuality and laden, for no artistically valid reason, with non-stop vulgarity. Can also be films that directly contradict Catholic Church teachings.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- George W. Bush writes book about father 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1