WASHINGTON — Reps. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, and Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, have signed onto legislation that would allow the Western states to manage the now-recovered gray wolf populations themselves.
Both congressmen are cosponsoring HR 6028, sponsored by Rep. Chet Edwards, D-Texas, which prohibits the treatment of the gray wolf as an endangered or threatened species.
"Federal wolf recovery experts have said that the reintroduction of the gray wolf is a success," Matheson said in a news release. "It's time to let state wildlife professionals do their job and balance the needs of predator and prey to maintain a healthy balance."
Wildlife biologists estimate there are 1,700 wolves in several Western states, according to a statement from Chaffetz.
Matheson said a diverse group of scientists and sportsmen groups have studied and documented that not only have gray wolves recovered, their numbers have caused a dramatic drop in elk, deer and moose populations, hurting hunting opportunities and — as a result — harming rural economies that rely on money spent by sportsmen in the West.
"This is a vital issue to farmers, ranchers, sportsmen and outdoor recreationists," Chaffetz said in a statement. "It is appropriate to have the wolf delisted at this time."
Matheson said the legislation is partially a response to legal challenges by some environmental groups who have argued the gray wolf should not be removed from the Endangered Species Act until it has been re-established in all 50 states.
— Joseph M. Dougherty
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- 3 officers file sex harassment lawsuit...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 85
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 55
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 45
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15