BYU football: Cougars banged up after trip to Florida
PROVO — There were more than a dozen injuries to BYU players after the Cougars' loss to Florida State on Saturday.
Most notable, of course, was quarterback Riley Nelson, who is set to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.
As of Tuesday, cornerback Brian Logan was questionable for Saturday's game against Nevada, according to BYU head trainer Kevin Morris.
Logan missed much of the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury. Morris called it "a pretty severe inflamed shoulder," but nothing that requires surgery. "It may be a game-time decision," Morris said of Logan's status.
Others who underwent MRIs this week included offensive tackle Matt Reynolds..
"We did an MRI on him just to make sure the X-rays confirmed no fracture," Morris said. He described Reynolds' injury as a lower leg injury. "A severe contusion, but no fracture," Morris said.
Morris added that he expects Reynolds to return to practice Wednesday and play Saturday.
Safety Andrew Rich sustained "kind of a full-body contusion" against Florida State, Morris said, but Rich has practiced this week and is expected to be ready to go against Nevada.
Center Terence Brown suffered an ankle sprain but has also practiced this week.
UNDERDOG ROLE: Asked about Nevada being favored over his team this week, Mendenhall said, "It's a role that we've earned to this point. We haven't played at a high enough level to be considered the favorite. We're used to being the favorite, but right now our team isn't performing at that level. Nevada is a very good football team. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. They're playing well."
NELSON HONORED: Before news of Nelson's season-ending surgery broke, he was named Tuesday to the 2010 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team.
Nelson was one of 22 players selected from 112 nominees. He has been heavily involved in the community, volunteering his team with Heart2Home and the Buff Don't Puff Program. Nelson also speaks regularly to youth groups.
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utah Jazz excited for a crack at undefeated...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 103
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 64
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 46
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 37
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 36
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for... 31