BYU football: Cougars banged up after trip to Florida
PROVO — There were more than a dozen injuries to BYU players after the Cougars' loss to Florida State on Saturday.
Most notable, of course, was quarterback Riley Nelson, who is set to undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.
As of Tuesday, cornerback Brian Logan was questionable for Saturday's game against Nevada, according to BYU head trainer Kevin Morris.
Logan missed much of the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury. Morris called it "a pretty severe inflamed shoulder," but nothing that requires surgery. "It may be a game-time decision," Morris said of Logan's status.
Others who underwent MRIs this week included offensive tackle Matt Reynolds..
"We did an MRI on him just to make sure the X-rays confirmed no fracture," Morris said. He described Reynolds' injury as a lower leg injury. "A severe contusion, but no fracture," Morris said.
Morris added that he expects Reynolds to return to practice Wednesday and play Saturday.
Safety Andrew Rich sustained "kind of a full-body contusion" against Florida State, Morris said, but Rich has practiced this week and is expected to be ready to go against Nevada.
Center Terence Brown suffered an ankle sprain but has also practiced this week.
UNDERDOG ROLE: Asked about Nevada being favored over his team this week, Mendenhall said, "It's a role that we've earned to this point. We haven't played at a high enough level to be considered the favorite. We're used to being the favorite, but right now our team isn't performing at that level. Nevada is a very good football team. I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. They're playing well."
NELSON HONORED: Before news of Nelson's season-ending surgery broke, he was named Tuesday to the 2010 Allstate AFCA Good Works Team.
Nelson was one of 22 players selected from 112 nominees. He has been heavily involved in the community, volunteering his team with Heart2Home and the Buff Don't Puff Program. Nelson also speaks regularly to youth groups.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Mike Sorensen: Manning's storybook ending...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 66
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 20