BYU football: Riley Nelson out for the season
Two-QB trial over announcement Tuesday
With Nelson out, BYU's team loses a lot, Mendenhall said. "We lose experience. We lose a lot of leadership. And we lose another option at quarterback. He's as disappointed as I am. And our team is."
Heaps played all but two series against Florida State, completing 15-of-31 passes for 114 yards and a touchdown pass.
The Cougars have scored only 47 points in three games and gained only 191 yards against the Seminoles. The previous week, BYU passed for just 88 yards against Air Force.
But Heaps is confident that the offense can put things together. "It's a matter of us going out there and executing," he said. "If we're executing on every play, we can put 50 points on the board every game."
Heaps emphasized that while he's excited to be the starter, he's focused on the team, not himself. "It's our team. It's not my team. There are 105 of us on this team. It's not just about me," he said. "I need to step up as a leader and I need to step up and make plays and demand a lot out of our guys. We're all excited for this week."
Cougars on the air
BYU vs. Nevada
Saturday, 4 p.m.LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo
TV: The mtn.
Radio: 102.7 FM, 1160 AM
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 86
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21