Utah Utes football: After slow start Utes dominate New Mexico 56-14
Trailing 42-7, New Mexico ended an impressive six-quarter shutout streak by the Utah defense. An 18-yard touchdown pass from Tarean Austin to Bryan Williams was the first offensive score allowed by the Utes since the opener against Pittsburgh.
Less than two minutes later, though, Utah matched it when Cain connected on a 33-yard TD pass to DeVonte Christopher.
Armed with a 49-14 lead, Cain was replaced by Griff Robles after the third quarter was complete. He completed his final 11 throws and set a new school record for accuracy in game — finding the mark on 20-of-23 attempts (87 percent) for 248 yards and three touchdowns.
"That's a great accomplishment for Terrance," Whittingham said. "He has played stellar in his two opportunities."
Cain, however, downplayed it.
"It's a great thing to hear," he said. "But the most important stat is we got the win, so that's all I'm worried about."
Before the game was complete, Robles orchestrated another scoring drive. A 24-yard touchdown run by Tauni Vakapuna and Phillips' eighth successful extra-point kick concluded all point production in the game.
Whittingham left Albuquerque with his 30th career conference win and a positive end — most likely because of the Utes' move to the Pac-10 next season — to a competitive series in New Mexico, where Utah holds a 14-12-1 advantage.
"It's nice to have the departure from the usual grind-it-out nail-biter that we've had down here," said Whittingham, who reminded his team that the Utes blew a 21-point lead here in 2006. "We were not going to let that happen again. That was the halftime speech."
Utah (3-0 overall, 2-0 in MWC play) hosts San Jose State for homecoming next Saturday.
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 78
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 27
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14