SALT LAKE CITY — Kyle Whittingham quietly reached a milestone in last Saturday's 38-10 win over UNLV, earning his 50th victory as Utah's head coach.
Whittingham, however, isn't taking credit for the accomplishment.
"It's 50 wins for the players," he said. "That's good for our players the last six years or whatever it's been."
Since taking the helm of the Utes as a co-head coach with Urban Meyer in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, Whittingham has guided the team to a 50-17 mark. Only two other coaches have more victories at Utah — Ike Armstrong (141 from 1925-49) and Ron McBride (88 from 1990-2002).
Armstrong reached 50 wins in his 62nd game, while McBride hit the mark in his 75th outing.
The milestone, though, hasn't caused Whittingham to stop and celebrate.
"No, you don't even think about that," he said. "You just keep moving forward."
IN THE MIX: Whittingham once again confirmed that injured linebacker J.J. Williams (foot) will be in the mix as soon as he's healthy. Boo Andersen, a reserve, is also in a linebacker rotation that includes two-game starters Chaz Walker, Matt Martinez and Chad Manis.
"Everybody that deserves to be on the field and can play at that level we need them to play at we utilize," Whittingham said. "We're starting to get a corps of linebackers that we feel very good about.
EVEN OPPORTUNITIES: After two games, running backs Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide each have 24 carries.
"It has worked out well. It works because of the type of guys they are," Whittingham said. "They're unselfish. They're team guys."
Wide holds a 124-104 edge over Asiata in net yardage with both backs averaging more than four yards per carry.
"It's a great 1-2 punch for us," Whittingham said.
CAIN'S APPROACH: Senior quarterback Terrance Cain knows the Utes are 8-1 in games he has started. Even so, the numbers aren't what motivates him.
"Of course, anybody would be proud of it," Cain said of his record as a starter. "But like I've said, I don't look at the stats. I just go out there and try to get a win and just play ball with my team."
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Westbrook, Thunder put Warriors on brink of...
- 'Lost my way': Murray pushed to 5 sets again...
- USMNT: RSL's Beckerman starts, Timbers' Nagbe...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Coach Steve Kerr: Warriors on brink but ready...
- San Jose Sharks head to 1st Cup final after...
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 68
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 51
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 49
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 34
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 19
- Doug Robinson: Take heart, Jazz fans,... 15