SALT LAKE CITY — Kyle Whittingham quietly reached a milestone in last Saturday's 38-10 win over UNLV, earning his 50th victory as Utah's head coach.
Whittingham, however, isn't taking credit for the accomplishment.
"It's 50 wins for the players," he said. "That's good for our players the last six years or whatever it's been."
Since taking the helm of the Utes as a co-head coach with Urban Meyer in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, Whittingham has guided the team to a 50-17 mark. Only two other coaches have more victories at Utah — Ike Armstrong (141 from 1925-49) and Ron McBride (88 from 1990-2002).
Armstrong reached 50 wins in his 62nd game, while McBride hit the mark in his 75th outing.
The milestone, though, hasn't caused Whittingham to stop and celebrate.
"No, you don't even think about that," he said. "You just keep moving forward."
IN THE MIX: Whittingham once again confirmed that injured linebacker J.J. Williams (foot) will be in the mix as soon as he's healthy. Boo Andersen, a reserve, is also in a linebacker rotation that includes two-game starters Chaz Walker, Matt Martinez and Chad Manis.
"Everybody that deserves to be on the field and can play at that level we need them to play at we utilize," Whittingham said. "We're starting to get a corps of linebackers that we feel very good about.
EVEN OPPORTUNITIES: After two games, running backs Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide each have 24 carries.
"It has worked out well. It works because of the type of guys they are," Whittingham said. "They're unselfish. They're team guys."
Wide holds a 124-104 edge over Asiata in net yardage with both backs averaging more than four yards per carry.
"It's a great 1-2 punch for us," Whittingham said.
CAIN'S APPROACH: Senior quarterback Terrance Cain knows the Utes are 8-1 in games he has started. Even so, the numbers aren't what motivates him.
"Of course, anybody would be proud of it," Cain said of his record as a starter. "But like I've said, I don't look at the stats. I just go out there and try to get a win and just play ball with my team."
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Brad Rock: Haws family has worldview on...
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes in on...
- Morning links: Are Aussies the NBA's secret...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 124
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 38
- Several early season game times set for... 31
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13