SALT LAKE CITY — Kyle Whittingham quietly reached a milestone in last Saturday's 38-10 win over UNLV, earning his 50th victory as Utah's head coach.
Whittingham, however, isn't taking credit for the accomplishment.
"It's 50 wins for the players," he said. "That's good for our players the last six years or whatever it's been."
Since taking the helm of the Utes as a co-head coach with Urban Meyer in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl, Whittingham has guided the team to a 50-17 mark. Only two other coaches have more victories at Utah — Ike Armstrong (141 from 1925-49) and Ron McBride (88 from 1990-2002).
Armstrong reached 50 wins in his 62nd game, while McBride hit the mark in his 75th outing.
The milestone, though, hasn't caused Whittingham to stop and celebrate.
"No, you don't even think about that," he said. "You just keep moving forward."
IN THE MIX: Whittingham once again confirmed that injured linebacker J.J. Williams (foot) will be in the mix as soon as he's healthy. Boo Andersen, a reserve, is also in a linebacker rotation that includes two-game starters Chaz Walker, Matt Martinez and Chad Manis.
"Everybody that deserves to be on the field and can play at that level we need them to play at we utilize," Whittingham said. "We're starting to get a corps of linebackers that we feel very good about.
EVEN OPPORTUNITIES: After two games, running backs Matt Asiata and Eddie Wide each have 24 carries.
"It has worked out well. It works because of the type of guys they are," Whittingham said. "They're unselfish. They're team guys."
Wide holds a 124-104 edge over Asiata in net yardage with both backs averaging more than four yards per carry.
"It's a great 1-2 punch for us," Whittingham said.
CAIN'S APPROACH: Senior quarterback Terrance Cain knows the Utes are 8-1 in games he has started. Even so, the numbers aren't what motivates him.
"Of course, anybody would be proud of it," Cain said of his record as a starter. "But like I've said, I don't look at the stats. I just go out there and try to get a win and just play ball with my team."
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43