A BYU football team that's on a crusade to show people how good it is shocked No. 1 Miami, 28-21, in front of a record crowd of 66,235 at Cougar Stadium.
"Right now, I think people may realize we're a little better than they think," said BYU quarterback Ty Detmer, who completed 38-of-54 passes for 406 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception.
Miami, the defending national champion, was a 131/2-point favorite over the Cougars, who came in ranked 16th and 18th in the wire-service polls.
Miami coach Dennis Erickson came away impressed.
"Ty Detmer is unbelievable," he said. "He made plays and threw with pressure in his face all night."
BYU running back Matt Bellini had 10 catches for 111 yards, tight end Chris Smith nine catches for 90 yards, and Andy Boyce nine catches for 96 yards.
"It obviously has to be one of the biggest nights we've ever had, the biggest regular-season night we've had," BYU coach LaVell Edwards said. "If we can just keep this up, we can be a very good football team."
The Cougars won despite committing five turnovers.
"If anybody had told me earlier that we'd turn the ball over five times and still win," Edwards said, "I'd have wanted to give them a saliva test."
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 69
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 54
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34