A BYU football team that's on a crusade to show people how good it is shocked No. 1 Miami, 28-21, in front of a record crowd of 66,235 at Cougar Stadium.
"Right now, I think people may realize we're a little better than they think," said BYU quarterback Ty Detmer, who completed 38-of-54 passes for 406 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception.
Miami, the defending national champion, was a 131/2-point favorite over the Cougars, who came in ranked 16th and 18th in the wire-service polls.
Miami coach Dennis Erickson came away impressed.
"Ty Detmer is unbelievable," he said. "He made plays and threw with pressure in his face all night."
BYU running back Matt Bellini had 10 catches for 111 yards, tight end Chris Smith nine catches for 90 yards, and Andy Boyce nine catches for 96 yards.
"It obviously has to be one of the biggest nights we've ever had, the biggest regular-season night we've had," BYU coach LaVell Edwards said. "If we can just keep this up, we can be a very good football team."
The Cougars won despite committing five turnovers.
"If anybody had told me earlier that we'd turn the ball over five times and still win," Edwards said, "I'd have wanted to give them a saliva test."
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16