A BYU football team that's on a crusade to show people how good it is shocked No. 1 Miami, 28-21, in front of a record crowd of 66,235 at Cougar Stadium.
"Right now, I think people may realize we're a little better than they think," said BYU quarterback Ty Detmer, who completed 38-of-54 passes for 406 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception.
Miami, the defending national champion, was a 131/2-point favorite over the Cougars, who came in ranked 16th and 18th in the wire-service polls.
Miami coach Dennis Erickson came away impressed.
"Ty Detmer is unbelievable," he said. "He made plays and threw with pressure in his face all night."
BYU running back Matt Bellini had 10 catches for 111 yards, tight end Chris Smith nine catches for 90 yards, and Andy Boyce nine catches for 96 yards.
"It obviously has to be one of the biggest nights we've ever had, the biggest regular-season night we've had," BYU coach LaVell Edwards said. "If we can just keep this up, we can be a very good football team."
The Cougars won despite committing five turnovers.
"If anybody had told me earlier that we'd turn the ball over five times and still win," Edwards said, "I'd have wanted to give them a saliva test."
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- Dick Harmon: Fredette family discusses...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 107
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 71
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 62
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44