A BYU football team that's on a crusade to show people how good it is shocked No. 1 Miami, 28-21, in front of a record crowd of 66,235 at Cougar Stadium.
"Right now, I think people may realize we're a little better than they think," said BYU quarterback Ty Detmer, who completed 38-of-54 passes for 406 yards and three touchdowns, with one interception.
Miami, the defending national champion, was a 131/2-point favorite over the Cougars, who came in ranked 16th and 18th in the wire-service polls.
Miami coach Dennis Erickson came away impressed.
"Ty Detmer is unbelievable," he said. "He made plays and threw with pressure in his face all night."
BYU running back Matt Bellini had 10 catches for 111 yards, tight end Chris Smith nine catches for 90 yards, and Andy Boyce nine catches for 96 yards.
"It obviously has to be one of the biggest nights we've ever had, the biggest regular-season night we've had," BYU coach LaVell Edwards said. "If we can just keep this up, we can be a very good football team."
The Cougars won despite committing five turnovers.
"If anybody had told me earlier that we'd turn the ball over five times and still win," Edwards said, "I'd have wanted to give them a saliva test."
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 41
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7
- Morning links: Utah Utes a sleeper in... 6