High school football: Damian Rivers runs wild to boost Timpanogos
HERRIMAN — Herriman High's football team will undoubtedly have nightmares about Damian Rivers this week.
Rivers, lining up at quarterback in the Wildcat formation, provided just the punch Timpanogos needed in the fourth quarter, leading two touchdown drives to lift the Timberwolves past Herriman 22-15 Friday.
Rivers, who started at quarterback last season, had an immediate impact under center, rushing eight times for 45 yards and throwing a 36-yard completion to set up scores as Timpanogos remained undefeated (3-0).
"We needed a change," Timberwolves coach Ed Larson said. "We were not getting anything from Zac (Larson), so it was good for us to get the ball to Damian. We've got to do a better job of getting him the ball."
Until then, the Mustangs (1-2) appeared on their way to their first-ever home victory. Tueni Lupeamanu threw for 268 yards, and Tanner Rush had nine receptions for 154 yards. However, Herriman missed two field goals — 19 and 26 yards — in the fourth quarter that would have padded its lead.
A botched snap spoiled the first field goal try, which Timpanogos returned to the Mustang 21-yard line to set up a score. Trevor Wells' 26-yard attempt then sailed wide right with the game tied 15-15.
Though predictable, Herriman's defense could not stop Rivers' runs. His lone completion came on a bootleg to Dyson Rivers.
"They're ugly, but we're 3-0," Larson said of his team's start. "These have been hard-fought battles, but we're 3-0 and that's OK."
Before the comeback, Timpanogos' offense was stagnant, gaining just 155 yards through three quarters compared to Herriman's 335. That all changed with Rivers in control. Kai Davis' 3-yard touchdown run with 10 seconds remaining sealed the victory.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- Friday night lights central, week 5: Scores,...
- High school football: Felt's Facts for Week...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 105
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 44