BYU football schedules home-and-home against Central Florida
PROVO — BYU and Central Florida announced today the two schools will play a home-and-home series in 2011 and 2014.
The series begins with a game in Provo on Sept. 23, 2011 — the first year the Cougars will compete as an independent. BYU will play in Orlando on Sept.. 6, 2014.
"We are pleased to announce this series with Central Florida," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "With our recent move to independence we are looking to fill our schedule with quality home opponents and opportunities for our fans to see us play in different venues around the country. This series is a great fit for BYU."
BYU and Central Florida have never played before in football. BYU has played in the Orlando area twice, against the Ohio State in the 1985 Florida Citrus Bowl, and Oklahoma State in the 1976 Tangerine Bowl.
"The series with BYU should be an exciting one," said Central Florida athletic director Keith Tribble. "Their football program has always been one to follow, seeing all of the success it has sustained over so many years.:
Central Florida has been a member of Conference USA since 2005. Coach George O'Leary took over the program in 2004 and has led the Knights to three bowl games (2005, 2007, 2009), and a conference championship in 2007.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37