BYU football schedules home-and-home against Central Florida
PROVO — BYU and Central Florida announced today the two schools will play a home-and-home series in 2011 and 2014.
The series begins with a game in Provo on Sept. 23, 2011 — the first year the Cougars will compete as an independent. BYU will play in Orlando on Sept.. 6, 2014.
"We are pleased to announce this series with Central Florida," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "With our recent move to independence we are looking to fill our schedule with quality home opponents and opportunities for our fans to see us play in different venues around the country. This series is a great fit for BYU."
BYU and Central Florida have never played before in football. BYU has played in the Orlando area twice, against the Ohio State in the 1985 Florida Citrus Bowl, and Oklahoma State in the 1976 Tangerine Bowl.
"The series with BYU should be an exciting one," said Central Florida athletic director Keith Tribble. "Their football program has always been one to follow, seeing all of the success it has sustained over so many years.:
Central Florida has been a member of Conference USA since 2005. Coach George O'Leary took over the program in 2004 and has led the Knights to three bowl games (2005, 2007, 2009), and a conference championship in 2007.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- What you may have missed: Mangum’s...
- Dick Harmon: Former BYU quarterbacks rise to...
- Brad Rock: Enes Kanter doesn't deserve the abuse
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- Utah notebook: Britain Covey will not play on...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 126
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 40
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 37
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35
- Twitter reacts to Utes' offensive... 35