BYU football schedules home-and-home against Central Florida
PROVO — BYU and Central Florida announced today the two schools will play a home-and-home series in 2011 and 2014.
The series begins with a game in Provo on Sept. 23, 2011 — the first year the Cougars will compete as an independent. BYU will play in Orlando on Sept.. 6, 2014.
"We are pleased to announce this series with Central Florida," BYU athletic director Tom Holmoe said in a statement. "With our recent move to independence we are looking to fill our schedule with quality home opponents and opportunities for our fans to see us play in different venues around the country. This series is a great fit for BYU."
BYU and Central Florida have never played before in football. BYU has played in the Orlando area twice, against the Ohio State in the 1985 Florida Citrus Bowl, and Oklahoma State in the 1976 Tangerine Bowl.
"The series with BYU should be an exciting one," said Central Florida athletic director Keith Tribble. "Their football program has always been one to follow, seeing all of the success it has sustained over so many years.:
Central Florida has been a member of Conference USA since 2005. Coach George O'Leary took over the program in 2004 and has led the Knights to three bowl games (2005, 2007, 2009), and a conference championship in 2007.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23