Brown said ESPN could pull together games for the Cougars in football and basketball. He refuted the idea that ESPN could take a former broker role to get BYU a BCS slot. He said nothing about unofficial ESPN hierarchy old boy's talk at summer cruises and golf outings with the bigwigs of the Big 12, Big Ten and SEC.
Neither BYU nor Brown talked money figures, but the Oklahoma-BYU game brought the Cougars just over a million dollars. One can guess BYU's future home football games with ESPN (seven to eight a year) will be in the $700,000 to $1.2 million range apiece, with the Notre Dame and Texas games on the high end.
Then there are ESPN broadcasts of BYU home basketball games. You do the math.
And this isn't even talking about BYUtv. By the way, Tuesday's press conference broadcast on BYUtv went across the U.S. and in 150 countries.
Is BYU trying to be the Notre Dame of the West? Heck, no.
But it is an influential Western independent with its own weighty brand. Already, without acting as an independent until 2011, the Cougars have greatly impacted three different conferences in a matter of days.
It is interesting that Notre Dame and Texas both have called BYUtv numerous times in recent weeks inquiring about the new broadcast facility and truck.
In a real sense, BYU rocked the non-automatic qualifying world with an innovated, gutsy plan that is breaking new ground.
Wrote Dennis Dodd of CBS Sportsline.com on BYU's move: "It finally became time to separate itself. ESPN bought in with an eight-year agreement to televise BYU's home games. BYU already has its own network (BYUtv). Now it has its matchmaker. ESPN executive Dave Brown is one of the sport's power brokers when it comes arranging made-for-TV matchups. That will help a lot when it comes to scheduling games. If that sounds a lot like Notre Dame and NBC, you're right."
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 38
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 19