Report: BYU had mock independent football schedule for 2011
Earlier today, BYU announced it had scheduled a home-and-home deal with Texas in 2013 and 2014, with the Longhorns visiting Provo in 2013.
That shows once again that the Cougars, who have been working towards going independent in football, have the ability to schedule big-time programs. ESPN.com's Andy Katz reported today that BYU had a mock 2011 schedule in place earlier this week as an affiliate member of the Western Athletic Conference and independent in football.
The Cougars were set to play at Fresno State and Hawaii; and host Utah State, Nevada, San Jose State and New Mexico State.
Of course, by Wednesday night, Fresno State and Nevada had become members of the MWC.
BYU already is scheduled to play Texas and Oregon State in 2011, with a game against arch-rival Utah, which will be in the Pac-12, expected as well.
The Cougars' schedule against WAC foes would have been similar to the deal Notre Dame has with the Big East. The Fighting Irish's teams compete in the Big East except for football.
WAC commissioner Karl Benson told Katz that he doesn't know if BYU will leave the MWC to go independent. The Cougars have until Sept. 1 to notify the MWC of their intentions concerning the 2011 season.
West Coast Conference commissioner Jamie Zaninovich is reportedly working to welcome BYU as a member of that league for sports other than football. But as of Friday, he hadn't discussed the matter with anyone at BYU.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25