Report: BYU had mock independent football schedule for 2011
Earlier today, BYU announced it had scheduled a home-and-home deal with Texas in 2013 and 2014, with the Longhorns visiting Provo in 2013.
That shows once again that the Cougars, who have been working towards going independent in football, have the ability to schedule big-time programs. ESPN.com's Andy Katz reported today that BYU had a mock 2011 schedule in place earlier this week as an affiliate member of the Western Athletic Conference and independent in football.
The Cougars were set to play at Fresno State and Hawaii; and host Utah State, Nevada, San Jose State and New Mexico State.
Of course, by Wednesday night, Fresno State and Nevada had become members of the MWC.
BYU already is scheduled to play Texas and Oregon State in 2011, with a game against arch-rival Utah, which will be in the Pac-12, expected as well.
The Cougars' schedule against WAC foes would have been similar to the deal Notre Dame has with the Big East. The Fighting Irish's teams compete in the Big East except for football.
WAC commissioner Karl Benson told Katz that he doesn't know if BYU will leave the MWC to go independent. The Cougars have until Sept. 1 to notify the MWC of their intentions concerning the 2011 season.
West Coast Conference commissioner Jamie Zaninovich is reportedly working to welcome BYU as a member of that league for sports other than football. But as of Friday, he hadn't discussed the matter with anyone at BYU.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41