Tour of Utah already looking ahead
President of cycling event wants it to become one of world's top competitions
"If the Colorado race is successful, and I hope it is," Miller said, "I think we will see a very collaborative effort to make both races work together. USA Cycling is here and they are committed to helping us create a schedule that will work for both races."
Heiden shares that hope.
"I think the best scenario is that both races piggyback off each other in a synergistic form," Heiden said.
Still, for Pro Tour racers like Leipheimer and Hincapie to race NRC events like the Tour of Utah, the UCI typically needs to be petitioned for a waiver — the UCI doesn't want the smaller races to be dominated by bigger teams and limit the development of younger or smaller teams.
"My hope is that the UCI isn't that shortsighted," Heiden said. "I think they'll make some concessions so both races can thrive."
For now, the Tour of Utah is on solid ground, and inclusion on the UCI calendar is on the agenda.
"An aggressive timeline is maybe three years," Miller said. "A more realistic timeline is more like five years. But we have already been talking about that and we want to make it happen."
If it does, Utah's growing cycling fan base will see even more epic battles on the Wasatch Front.
Tour of Utah
state Capitol, time trial, 6 p.m. start
Stage One, today
Ogden to Salt Lake City road race, 11 a.m. start
Stage Two, Thursday
Thanksgiving Point to Mount Nebo road race, 10 a.m. start
Stage Three, Friday
Miller Motorsports Park, individual time trial, 6:30 p.m. start
Stage Four, Saturday
Downtown Park City, criterium, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. auxiliary events, 4:30 p.m. pro race start
Stage Five, Sunday
Park City to Snowbird road race, 11 a.m. start
e-mail: email@example.com Twitter: DesNewsEborn
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 61
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 23
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22