Former BYU quarterback Steve Sarkisian opens his second season as head coach of the Washington Huskies Sept. 4 at his alma mater in Provo. Deseret News sports writer Dirk Facer spoke with Sarkisian at the Pac-10 Football Media Day in Pasadena, Calif.
Question: How strange will it be coaching the opposition at your alma mater?
Answer: "I think it could be weird in a sense maybe leading up to the game because I have great memories there, special moments. We won a lot of football games there but once the game is kicked off its football, and we will play."
Question: You're scheduled to join other quarterbacks who played under LaVell Edwards for a special ceremony at halftime. How special will that be?
Answer: "Those are great players. When you are talking about the Youngs, McMahons, Boscos and the Wilsons and Detmers, that is a long line of great quarterbacks, and I was fortunate to play under coach Edwards and do some things. I just remind them if we're not winning at halftime I'm not coming out."
Question: What do you think about the Pac-10 adding Utah?
Answer: "They've been playing really good football. Salt Lake is a beautiful city. It's a great market for the Pac-10 to get into, and I think they're a great fit."
Question: What will happen to the BYU-Utah rivalry?
Answer: "A little bit naturally will happen, what you are playing for. But in another way this could heighten it because they are playing a truly natural rivalry game now. They are natural rivals, and it could heighten it more."
Question: Should BYU have been invited to the Pac-10?
Answer: "I don't know how and why Utah was chosen. I know that BYU has been a good football program for years but I think it was more than just football in making this decision. Hopefully they won't unleash their frustrations on us when we play them."
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48