Utah Utes: Bill Riley returns behind mic as radio voice for U.
SALT LAKE CITY — The "Voice of the Utes" has changed. University of Utah fans, though, will recognize what they hear on the radio this fall.
Bill Riley, who called the action in 2006-07, will return to play-by-play duties on football and men's basketball broadcasts.
The University of Utah athletics department and multi-media rights partner Utah Sports Properties made the announcement Tuesday afternoon. Riley currently hosts a show on flagship station ESPN 700 (formerly KALL) and has handled radio and television play-by-play for Real Salt Lake since the team's inception in 2005.
"I am thrilled beyond belief at the opportunity to be the voice of the University of Utah," Riley said. "It truly is a dream job for me and the highlight of my career. I look forward to helping grow the Utah brand throughout the state and the region and as we move forward into the Pac-10."
Riley replaces Mike Lageschulte, who held the post for the past three years. Lageschulte will continue working for the athletic department as coordinator of special projects.
"We are excited to have Bill join our broadcast team as the new radio voice of Utah athletics," said Andrew Waters, general manager of Utah Sports Properties. "His experience in this arena is sure to enhance our broadcast. With his afternoon show on ESPN 700 and his voice on game day, we will experience an extended reach in the marketplace."
In addition to play-by-play and other game-day duties, Riley will also host the Kyle Whittingham and Jim Boylen shows each week during the season.
"I'm just really, really excited about being back and working with Utah, especially with Whittingham and Boylen," Riley said. "Those two guys have been really, really good friends and very, very good allies of mine. So I really look forward to working with them."
Riley, a Kansas graduate, has hosted sports radio talk shows at KSL and KALL since moving to Utah in 2001. He has also called games for the Mountain and Altitude television networks.
Earlier in his career, Riley hosted pregame and postgame shows for the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars. He was also a play-by-play announcer for Jacksonville University and the Sunshine Network.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA career...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU reaches 9-win plateau, hoping for bowl...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 99
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 43
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 41
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 24
- Dick Harmon: Aggies will give BYU best... 23
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23