PROVO — Former BYU guard Michael Loyd Jr. is going to join his younger brother Kevin Loyd and play basketball next season for Midwestern State University — a Division II school in Wichita Falls, Texas that competes in the Lone Star Conference.
Midwestern State has not officially announced the commitments from the Loyds, but a spokesman for the school's athletic department said Tuesday that an official press release will be coming out later this week. Also, sources close to Michael Loyd Jr. say he has agreed to play next season for the Mustangs and coach Grant McCasland.
Kevin Loyd, who played for Grambling last season, tweeted that he is in Wichita Falls taking summer classes, saying "starting all over in Texas ... wonder what it will be like."
He also tweeted "goin out with my brother to see how they do it in Wichita Falls."
Attempts by the Deseret News to reach Michael Loyd Jr. for comment have been unsuccessful.
The Mustangs were ranked as high as No. 2 last season in the D-II Top 25 and, despite losing in the NCAA D-II quarterfinals, had their best season ever with a 31-3 record. Michael Loyd Jr. and his brother will both have two years of eligibility remaining. The two are from Las Vegas and also have a younger brother, Jon Loyd, who signed to play for Oregon next season.
Michael Loyd Jr., a 6-foot-1 point guard, averaged more than five points per game for the Cougars last season, but scored 26 off the bench in BYU's NCAA Tournament win over Florida. He also had breakout games against New Mexico and Utah, scoring 19 second-half points in a narrow home loss to the Lobos and 18 first-half points in a blowout win over the Utes.
He was released from BYU in late April in what was originally called a mutual decision. Later, however, Cougar coach Dave Rose confirmed that Loyd was struggling with consistency in meeting obligations and in being accountable. Loyd was in good standing academically and with the school's honor code when he left.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 27
- Masina, Gustin develop friendship that... 20