At least 2 state employees compiled immigrant list, Gov. Gary Herbert says
"Those who take their obligation to protect Utah citizens seriously and want to repel the invaders are great patriots," Cawley said.
Other Utahns participated in the Friday conference call to national media with Shurtleff, to deliver a message that "the list" does not represent the views of most of the state's residents.
The Most Rev. John C. Wester, bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Utah, said, "The people of Utah are a gracious people and a good people and a moral people. This certainly does not reflect at all what the people of Utah are about."
Paul Mero, president of the conservative Sutherland Institute, said, "This list in Utah is reprehensible. It makes me sick to my stomach. … Hopefully this list will backfire on those who decided to do this and become a tipping point on this issue that allows reason and understanding and logic to take over."
Late Friday morning at the Mexican Consulate in downtown Salt Lake, about two dozen people waited, and some of them were seeking advice stemming from concerns over the list.
One couple, with their young son, were waiting to talk to a consular representative and said while they were not named in the document, they were neighbors of someone who was. Declining to identify himself or his immigration status, the father of the boy said everyone he knows was affected by the list.
"Our family, our friends, the people we know — all of them are worried about what this means," he said.
Another man waiting for help at the consulate, who asked that his name not be published, said he was visiting Utah on a legal tourist visa but now plans on cutting his trip short.
"I come here every year about this time to visit friends," he said. "But this time, there's nothing good here. … Everyone is scared."
A consulate official said she was not authorized to talk about what kind of advice was being offered to Mexican citizens who were raising concerns about the list of names.
Contributing: Arthur Raymond
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Doug Robinson: How this woman's focus on...
- 4 arrested in connection with fatal Cedar...
- Midvale killing may be case of self-defense,...
- Pregnant woman killed in collision with...
- Man shot in crowded Liberty Park during...
- See all the photos from the big Pioneer Day...
- Salt Lake man shoots 8-year-old boy, then...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 84
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 65
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17