SALT LAKE CITY — You can now call him Rep. Joel Briscoe, D-Salt Lake City.
Delegates from House District 25 voted Briscoe into the Utah House of Representatives on Thursday night at the Sprague Library.
Briscoe will serve out the remainder of former Rep. Christine Johnson's term, which expires in January.
Johnson, who represented the northeast corner of Salt Lake City and parts of Summit County for two terms, announced in May that she would resign to become the executive director of a gay rights group in South Carolina called SC Equality. She had previously announced that she wouldn't run for re-election.
Briscoe was the only person to submit his name for consideration to fill the remainder of Johnson's term. He also won the Democratic primary for that seat to face Republican Rick Raile in the November election.
"I am humbled to be given the opportunity to serve in the Legislature representing the district that I have called home for 29 years," Briscoe said Thursday night. "I look forward to taking my experience as an educator and community activist to the Utah House to make a positive change for Utah's children and communities."
Briscoe's name will be submitted to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert on Friday for appointment to the House. He is expected to be sworn into office during the Utah Legislature's Aug. 18 interim day at the state Capitol.
— Joseph M. Dougherty
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San Juan...
- Inversion tightens grip on Wasatch Front
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Controversial Rocky Mountain Power bill gets...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 34
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 20
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 13
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11