SALT LAKE CITY — You can now call him Rep. Joel Briscoe, D-Salt Lake City.
Delegates from House District 25 voted Briscoe into the Utah House of Representatives on Thursday night at the Sprague Library.
Briscoe will serve out the remainder of former Rep. Christine Johnson's term, which expires in January.
Johnson, who represented the northeast corner of Salt Lake City and parts of Summit County for two terms, announced in May that she would resign to become the executive director of a gay rights group in South Carolina called SC Equality. She had previously announced that she wouldn't run for re-election.
Briscoe was the only person to submit his name for consideration to fill the remainder of Johnson's term. He also won the Democratic primary for that seat to face Republican Rick Raile in the November election.
"I am humbled to be given the opportunity to serve in the Legislature representing the district that I have called home for 29 years," Briscoe said Thursday night. "I look forward to taking my experience as an educator and community activist to the Utah House to make a positive change for Utah's children and communities."
Briscoe's name will be submitted to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert on Friday for appointment to the House. He is expected to be sworn into office during the Utah Legislature's Aug. 18 interim day at the state Capitol.
— Joseph M. Dougherty
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Store decor company to expand in Cedar City
- Utah State aviation student dead after plane...
- Twila Van Leer: My nomination of 3 Mormon...
- Sculptures created to warn about sugar...
- Man gets jail time for attempted recruitment...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14