SALT LAKE CITY — You can now call him Rep. Joel Briscoe, D-Salt Lake City.
Delegates from House District 25 voted Briscoe into the Utah House of Representatives on Thursday night at the Sprague Library.
Briscoe will serve out the remainder of former Rep. Christine Johnson's term, which expires in January.
Johnson, who represented the northeast corner of Salt Lake City and parts of Summit County for two terms, announced in May that she would resign to become the executive director of a gay rights group in South Carolina called SC Equality. She had previously announced that she wouldn't run for re-election.
Briscoe was the only person to submit his name for consideration to fill the remainder of Johnson's term. He also won the Democratic primary for that seat to face Republican Rick Raile in the November election.
"I am humbled to be given the opportunity to serve in the Legislature representing the district that I have called home for 29 years," Briscoe said Thursday night. "I look forward to taking my experience as an educator and community activist to the Utah House to make a positive change for Utah's children and communities."
Briscoe's name will be submitted to Utah Gov. Gary Herbert on Friday for appointment to the House. He is expected to be sworn into office during the Utah Legislature's Aug. 18 interim day at the state Capitol.
— Joseph M. Dougherty
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- 8 injured in 3-car West Haven crash
- Weber County deputies investigating possible...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 31
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 29
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11