LAS VEGAS — For the second straight night, a Bees comeback fell short as the Las Vegas 51s held on for a 9-8 win over Salt Lake on Friday night.
Salt Lake trailed 9-7 going into the ninth when Peter Bourjos reached second on an error by Las Vegas centerfielder Mike McCoy. Nate Sutton singled to left to advance Bourjos to third, and Luis Figueroa singled him home, with Sutton advancing to second. But the rally ended as Mark Trumbo flied out and Michael Ryan bounced into a game-ending double play.
Bobby Cassevah (2-4) took the loss, as he allowed four runs on three hits in just two-thirds of an inning.
Drew Meyer led the Bees with two hits, including his first home run in a Salt Lake uniform, and two runs batted in, while Nick Gorneault delivered a three-run homer. Bourjos, Sutton and Figueroa each added two hits and an RBI for the Bees, who have now lost a season-high six consecutive games.
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Jordan's Austin Kafentzis will keep his...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 170
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 108
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 51
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43