LAS VEGAS — For the second straight night, a Bees comeback fell short as the Las Vegas 51s held on for a 9-8 win over Salt Lake on Friday night.
Salt Lake trailed 9-7 going into the ninth when Peter Bourjos reached second on an error by Las Vegas centerfielder Mike McCoy. Nate Sutton singled to left to advance Bourjos to third, and Luis Figueroa singled him home, with Sutton advancing to second. But the rally ended as Mark Trumbo flied out and Michael Ryan bounced into a game-ending double play.
Bobby Cassevah (2-4) took the loss, as he allowed four runs on three hits in just two-thirds of an inning.
Drew Meyer led the Bees with two hits, including his first home run in a Salt Lake uniform, and two runs batted in, while Nick Gorneault delivered a three-run homer. Bourjos, Sutton and Figueroa each added two hits and an RBI for the Bees, who have now lost a season-high six consecutive games.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 22