"I'm going to continue to get better and better every year," he added in an interview Thursday with Chicago radio station WMVP-AM 1000, "and I'm looking forward to bringing everything that I bring to the Chicago Bulls and making us a winner. I want a championship."
It wasn't immediately known what the protection is on the second-round draft choice that went from Utah to Chicago.
But it is clear that two-time NBA All-Star Boozer won't have any more money or an extra year added to his original agreement with Chicago, which signing with his former team first would have allowed.
The Bulls, in other words, essentially gave Utah a gift — the TPE.
"I appreciate the cooperation of (Bulls basketball boss) John Paxson and the fact (Boozer) was willing to sign participate in the sign-and-trade, because neither of them had to," O'Connor said at the Orlando Pro Summer League here.
"It gives us an opportunity to investigate other rosters and see if there's a player that maybe teams with luxury-tax issues or teams looking to go in a another direction (would trade). We'll try and be aggressive with it."
O'Connor on Wednesday said the Jazz would seek someone to back up Millsap, who is entering his second year on a four-season, $32 million contract.
"We'll look for a player that can help us win games," he said, "and it doesn't have to be somebody that scores 20 points."
O'Connor reiterated that, in part, Thursday.
"Paul's proven he's a starter," the Jazz GM said with reference to someone who recorded 19 straight double-doubles when Boozer was out in 2008-09 with a knee injury.
Now armed with the much-larger TPE, however, the Jazz also have a tool to pursue a much higher-priced player via trade that they didn't possess Wednesday. Remaining competitive next season, O'Connor suggested, is more important than preserving cap space for next offseason, when Kirilenko's $17.8 million salary comes off the books.
"We would like to be able to secure some size," O'Connor said.
Contributing: Jody Genessy
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26