Photo courtesy of Bruce Moore
About halfway up the trail, sections cling to the mountainside. If a few drop-offs don't bother you, your adventure in Grove Creek Canyon awaits you. The trail starts on the bench above Pleasant Grove. This trail offers little shade, so start early and take plenty of water. At the trailhead is an information board and map of the area. Start on the trail, and at .32 mile, stay left at the first split. The trail goes up and enters small scrub oaks near the creek. With the sounds of rushing water, the trail switchbacks away from it at .64 mile. On the switchback, the trail opens to western views of Utah Valley and Utah Lake. Quickly, you switch back into the canyon at .93 mile. Keep to the right in this area. The trail becomes more exciting as it clings to the mountainside at 1.20 miles. The trail is safe, but pay close attention to your footing as you snake around the mountain. After crossing a scree field and golden-colored spring, watch for the first waterfall below you. At two miles, the trail opens to the upper waterfall. Take a seat on the sitting bench, and enjoy the beautiful view looking down Grove Creek Canyon. This hike isn't recommended for families with small children.
Directions: From I-15 in Utah County, take the American Fork Canyon exit, Highway 92. Just before the canyon, take Highway 146 south to Pleasant Grove. At 500 North, turn east, and the road turns into Grove Creek Drive. You arrive at the trailhead.
Round trip: 4.25 miles
Hiking time: 3 to 4 hours
Elevation gain: 1,520 feet
Trailhead restrooms: Yes
Dogs allowed: Yes
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33