"We have a lot of faith in the Royal Bahamas Police Force and the Royal Bahamas Defense Force and they are chasing all active leads," Dubel said.
The Cessna in question has a range of more than 1,400 miles (2,300 kilometers) with a full tank of gas — enough to make the 1,000-mile (1,600-kilomter) trip from Indiana.
FBI Special Agent Steven Dean in Seattle said a warrant for Harris-Moore was issued for the theft of a different airplane from Bonners Ferry, Idaho, on Sept. 29, 2009.
Harris-Moore grew up in the woods of Camano in Puget Sound about 30 miles (50 kilometers) north of Seattle.
His mother has said he displayed a love of thieving at a young age.
His first conviction — for possession of stolen property — came at age 12. Within a few months of turning 13, he had three more. Each brought a 10-day stint in detention or community service.
In 2007, he was sentenced to nearly four years in juvenile detention after being caught in an unoccupied home when a neighbor noticed the lights on. But he did well enough at the detention center that he was transferred to a halfway house, where he sneaked out of an open window more than two years ago.
He has since been linked to dozens of burglaries, including several airplane thefts. During the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, a plane that may have been stolen by Harris-Moore skirted a flight zone set up for the event. It never entered restricted airspace during its erratic journey, helping the pilot evade authorities.
Associated Press writers Gene Johnson in Seattle, David McFadden in San Juan, Puerto Rico and Megan Reynolds in Nassau, Bahamas contributed to this report.
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- No gray area: Beliefs shape firm, disparate...
- Living with Children: Late nights, not school...
- Study claims cave art made by Neanderthals
- US trained Alaskans as secret 'stay-behind...
- Climate study yields bad news for tiny Nevada...
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- US judge blocks enforcement of new... 9
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants... 8