GROVER, Wayne County — Pat B. Brian, a former district court judge in Salt Lake, Tooele and Summit counties, died Monday, June 28, of pancreatic cancer at his summer home. He was 72.
Brian was appointed to the 3rd District Court in May 1987 by Gov. Norman Bangerter and retired in 2005.
A graduate of BYU in 1962, Brian earned his law degree from Vanderbilt University in 1965.
His first law position was in the District Attorney's Office in Orange County, Calif. He also worked as a federal prosecutor in Anchorage, Alaska.
Brian was an adjunct law professor at Pepperdine University and BYU for 24 years. He lectured extensively in Mongolia, China and Ukraine on the American rule of law.
He also had been a visiting professor at the Fudan University Law School in Shanghai, China.
Brian served as a member of the Utah Child Abuse Prevention Task Force, the Utah DUI Revision Commission and the Utah State Victim Restitution Commission. He also was a member of the statewide Grand Jury Panel of Judges and the Utah State Bar Fee Arbitration Committee.
Active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Brian served as a bishop, stake president, mission president and regional representative during his lifetime.
He also served as director of the Kirtland Ohio Historic Sites and as an LDS temple worker.
Brian grew up on a ranch in Loa, Wayne County, and married Sherry Hale in the Salt Lake Temple on June 28, 1962. They had six children and 21 grandchildren.
A closed casket viewing is scheduled for 6-8 p.m. Thursday, July 1, at the Larkin Sunset Gardens Mortuary, 10600 S. 1950 East, in Sandy. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Friday, July 2, at the LDS chapel on Mike Weir Drive (next to the Draper Temple). Friends may call from 9-10 a.m. prior to funeral services.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14