HEBER CITY — David J. Jordan has been elected to serve a two-year term as the chairman of the State Board of Regents.
Bonnie Jean Beesley will serve as vice chairwoman.
Jordan, of Bountiful, is a former U.S. attorney for Utah and has served as vice chairman of the U.S. Attorney General's Advisory Committee. He has also served as chairman of the Southern Utah University Board of Trustees.
"Nothing is more critical to the future of our state than quality higher education for our (residents)," Jordan said. "I am looking forward to serving in this new role and working even more closely with members of the board, the commissioner, our presidents and community and government leaders to further higher education in our state."
Jordan replaces Jed H. Pitcher, who served a pair of two-year terms.
"Without fanfare, (Pitcher) has courageously and ably led the board through these most difficult past four years," Beesley said. "We all owe him deep appreciation for his commitment, competence and untiring efforts."
Beesley, of Salt Lake City, has served on several boards of directors, as well as on the Salt Lake Community College Board of Trustees for seven years — including five years as its chairwoman. She is also active in business and community organizations.
"In this changing and challenging current world of ours, most individuals and families will require a quality post-secondary credential or degree to be economically self-supporting," she said. "This will require a collaborative effort of all of us."
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Wet, cool August delivered more than twice...
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- Family of fallen officer Derek Johnson...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Why would a parent abandon a child? A look at...
- Two drivers killed in head-on collision in...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14