HEBER CITY — David J. Jordan has been elected to serve a two-year term as the chairman of the State Board of Regents.
Bonnie Jean Beesley will serve as vice chairwoman.
Jordan, of Bountiful, is a former U.S. attorney for Utah and has served as vice chairman of the U.S. Attorney General's Advisory Committee. He has also served as chairman of the Southern Utah University Board of Trustees.
"Nothing is more critical to the future of our state than quality higher education for our (residents)," Jordan said. "I am looking forward to serving in this new role and working even more closely with members of the board, the commissioner, our presidents and community and government leaders to further higher education in our state."
Jordan replaces Jed H. Pitcher, who served a pair of two-year terms.
"Without fanfare, (Pitcher) has courageously and ably led the board through these most difficult past four years," Beesley said. "We all owe him deep appreciation for his commitment, competence and untiring efforts."
Beesley, of Salt Lake City, has served on several boards of directors, as well as on the Salt Lake Community College Board of Trustees for seven years — including five years as its chairwoman. She is also active in business and community organizations.
"In this changing and challenging current world of ours, most individuals and families will require a quality post-secondary credential or degree to be economically self-supporting," she said. "This will require a collaborative effort of all of us."
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated in...
- Prison relocation process slows down
- Appeal of excommunicated LDS activist Kate...
- Clearfield pediatrician arrested in child...
- Man accused of shooting 72-year-old West...
- Strack family: Search warrants begin 'to...
- Utah families, researchers play role in...
- New poll shows Love, Owens race tightens;...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 59
- New poll shows Love, Owens race... 46
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 30
- Final debate between Mia Love and Doug... 27
- Prison relocation process slows down 27
- Mom of Darrien Hunt being investigated... 27
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 21