HEBER CITY — David J. Jordan has been elected to serve a two-year term as the chairman of the State Board of Regents.
Bonnie Jean Beesley will serve as vice chairwoman.
Jordan, of Bountiful, is a former U.S. attorney for Utah and has served as vice chairman of the U.S. Attorney General's Advisory Committee. He has also served as chairman of the Southern Utah University Board of Trustees.
"Nothing is more critical to the future of our state than quality higher education for our (residents)," Jordan said. "I am looking forward to serving in this new role and working even more closely with members of the board, the commissioner, our presidents and community and government leaders to further higher education in our state."
Jordan replaces Jed H. Pitcher, who served a pair of two-year terms.
"Without fanfare, (Pitcher) has courageously and ably led the board through these most difficult past four years," Beesley said. "We all owe him deep appreciation for his commitment, competence and untiring efforts."
Beesley, of Salt Lake City, has served on several boards of directors, as well as on the Salt Lake Community College Board of Trustees for seven years — including five years as its chairwoman. She is also active in business and community organizations.
"In this changing and challenging current world of ours, most individuals and families will require a quality post-secondary credential or degree to be economically self-supporting," she said. "This will require a collaborative effort of all of us."
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River... 6
- D.A. declines to file charges against... 5