Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
3:30 p.m. — Gov. Gary Herbert declines request to postpone execution.
4 p.m. — Utah State Prison goes into lockdown and will remain in lockdown until Sunday.
5 p.m. — Prison officials inform media that Gardner is "relaxed" and has been sleeping, eating and reading in his observation cell.
5:30 p.m. — Gardner has been "fairly private" in his cell.
5:40 p.m. — Officials say Gardner earlier was reading "Divine Justice" by David Baldacci, described as a "spy thriller" novel, and watching "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.
6:40 p.m. — Gardner has been drinking fluids — vitamin water and Sprite — and reading mail. He continues to fast from food. He is now watching the second "Lord of the Rings" movie and is discussing it with prison staff.
7:15 p.m. — U.S. Supreme Court denies Gardner request to halt execution after reviewing a trio of appeals. Two justices dissented.
7:35 p.m. — Gardner intermittently sleeping and watching movie. Prison officials say it's not their responsibility to inform Gardner about the Supreme Court decision but his attorney's.
7:40 p.m. — Officials told there are no pending appeals.
7:55 p.m. — Gardner's lawyers submit second request to governor asking for stay of execution.
7:57 p.m. — Attorney tells media that Gardner is a "changed man" and a "mellow 49-year-old" who wants to help people.
8:30 p.m. — Gardner's LDS bishop speaks to Gardner through port in his cell. Gardner has known bishop for years.
8:43 p.m. — Governor denies Gardner's second request.
9 p.m. — Gardner continues to meet with clergy. He is standing at the door of his cell drinking a Coke.
9:30 p.m. — Attorneys and clergy are escorted out of Gardner's observation cell. Gardner is still watching movies.
9:50 p.m. — Gardner is now watching third LOTR movie and requests a Mountain Dew.
10:54 p.m. — Media witnesses escorted inside prison.
11:25 p.m. — Gardner's family is holding candlelight vigil to "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd. They are holding each other, crying and singing along.
11:55 p.m. (approx.) — Gardner escorted to execution chamber.
12:15 a.m. — Executioners fire shots.
12:17 a.m. — Gardner is pronounced dead.
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- City officals say North Salt Lake not liable...
- Uintah County homicide victim always willing...
- Couple struggling with fertility now...
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- FBI director touches on Ferguson shooting,...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 53
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 20
- Utah argues for more time to file... 20
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 17
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 13