BYU football: Big 12 not interested in expanding to 12 teams
PROVO — The Big 12 isn't planning to expand from 10 to 12 teams — at least not for now.
That comes as disappointing news to BYU fans hoping the Cougars would be invited to the Big 12 as part of conference realignment.
"We are not looking to expand at all, and certainly we wouldn't look to expand with any institutions that are within our geographic five-state area now. We are very comfortable with where we are," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Tuesday. "There is no interest in having expansion review at this point. I don't think it is going to come in the future."
BYU is one rumored potential candidate for the Big 12, should it expand at some point. Other schools being mentioned include Arkansas, Air Force and Louisville.
Beebe was asked if there were plans to return to a 12-team conference in order to stage a championship game in football. The league could petition the NCAA in order to have a title game with only 10 schools. "I know my colleagues would support having less than 12 members and still having a championship," he said.
Last week, the Big 12 lost two of its members: Colorado, which left for the Pac-10, and Nebraska, which is headed to the Big Ten.
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 103
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 83
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 58
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 47
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 31
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars... 24