BYU football: Big 12 not interested in expanding to 12 teams
PROVO — The Big 12 isn't planning to expand from 10 to 12 teams — at least not for now.
That comes as disappointing news to BYU fans hoping the Cougars would be invited to the Big 12 as part of conference realignment.
"We are not looking to expand at all, and certainly we wouldn't look to expand with any institutions that are within our geographic five-state area now. We are very comfortable with where we are," Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Tuesday. "There is no interest in having expansion review at this point. I don't think it is going to come in the future."
BYU is one rumored potential candidate for the Big 12, should it expand at some point. Other schools being mentioned include Arkansas, Air Force and Louisville.
Beebe was asked if there were plans to return to a 12-team conference in order to stage a championship game in football. The league could petition the NCAA in order to have a title game with only 10 schools. "I know my colleagues would support having less than 12 members and still having a championship," he said.
Last week, the Big 12 lost two of its members: Colorado, which left for the Pac-10, and Nebraska, which is headed to the Big Ten.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 114
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 45