A Miami sports-talk radio host has been orally reprimanded for his comments regarding Utah and the believers of its predominant religion, made while questioning Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer during an on-air interview earlier this week.
WQAM 560-AM host Sid Rosenberg called Utah "gorgeous" but "a horrible place to live, horrible," and asked Boozer, "But those Mormon people are crazy, aren't they?"
Boozer — who makes his offseason home in the Miami area, and went on the show to promote his charity-supporting basketball camps — responded that Utah is "beautiful" and "a great place to raise your kids.''
The two-time NBA All-Star also said multiple times that the state's many Mormon residents are "not bad at all."
WQAM operations manager Lee Feldman said via e-mail Thursday that "Sid was given a verbal warning and has been told to stay away from religion as a whole."
Feldman said also said he feels "that this whole thing has been blown way out proportion" and that Rosenberg "asked the question if Mormons were crazy in a very tongue-and-cheek manner and absolutely no malice was intended."
"I know Sid and he is not a bigot, nor does he have a hateful bone in his body," Feldman wrote.
Added Feldman: "As far as taking a shot at Utah, Sid said that it was beautiful but a horrible place to live, which is a matter of opinion."
The radio station on Thursday removed audio of the interview from its website.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 35
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 32
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26