A Miami sports-talk radio host has been orally reprimanded for his comments regarding Utah and the believers of its predominant religion, made while questioning Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer during an on-air interview earlier this week.
WQAM 560-AM host Sid Rosenberg called Utah "gorgeous" but "a horrible place to live, horrible," and asked Boozer, "But those Mormon people are crazy, aren't they?"
Boozer — who makes his offseason home in the Miami area, and went on the show to promote his charity-supporting basketball camps — responded that Utah is "beautiful" and "a great place to raise your kids.''
The two-time NBA All-Star also said multiple times that the state's many Mormon residents are "not bad at all."
WQAM operations manager Lee Feldman said via e-mail Thursday that "Sid was given a verbal warning and has been told to stay away from religion as a whole."
Feldman said also said he feels "that this whole thing has been blown way out proportion" and that Rosenberg "asked the question if Mormons were crazy in a very tongue-and-cheek manner and absolutely no malice was intended."
"I know Sid and he is not a bigot, nor does he have a hateful bone in his body," Feldman wrote.
Added Feldman: "As far as taking a shot at Utah, Sid said that it was beautiful but a horrible place to live, which is a matter of opinion."
The radio station on Thursday removed audio of the interview from its website.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34