A Miami sports-talk radio host has been orally reprimanded for his comments regarding Utah and the believers of its predominant religion, made while questioning Jazz power forward Carlos Boozer during an on-air interview earlier this week.
WQAM 560-AM host Sid Rosenberg called Utah "gorgeous" but "a horrible place to live, horrible," and asked Boozer, "But those Mormon people are crazy, aren't they?"
Boozer — who makes his offseason home in the Miami area, and went on the show to promote his charity-supporting basketball camps — responded that Utah is "beautiful" and "a great place to raise your kids.''
The two-time NBA All-Star also said multiple times that the state's many Mormon residents are "not bad at all."
WQAM operations manager Lee Feldman said via e-mail Thursday that "Sid was given a verbal warning and has been told to stay away from religion as a whole."
Feldman said also said he feels "that this whole thing has been blown way out proportion" and that Rosenberg "asked the question if Mormons were crazy in a very tongue-and-cheek manner and absolutely no malice was intended."
"I know Sid and he is not a bigot, nor does he have a hateful bone in his body," Feldman wrote.
Added Feldman: "As far as taking a shot at Utah, Sid said that it was beautiful but a horrible place to live, which is a matter of opinion."
The radio station on Thursday removed audio of the interview from its website.
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- Jazz lose 106-103 heartbreaker to the...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 109
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 70
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 67
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 36