SALT LAKE CITY — Links between another team's overseas scouting mission and a possible Jazz trade apparently are without merit.
The rumors involve Ante Tomic, a lanky 7-foot-2 Croatian center now playing in Spain for Real Madrid.
Tomic was a second-round draft choice of the Jazz's in 2008, and the Minnesota Timberwolves evidently have an eye for him.
Reached for comment on the Tomic talk late Tuesday afternoon, Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor, who has been attending offseason organization planning meetings this week and last, did not rule out any potential trade scenarios.
"If it makes our team better," he said, "we would consider anything."
Yet — despite an item originally posted by a Spanish newspaper, prompting Internet speculation that it's perhaps a possibility — there is no reason whatsoever to believe a Tomic trade proposal is on the table.
Or that one has even been discussed between Utah and Minnesota.
The Tomic chatter was prompted by a Noticias de Alava report that Timberwolves coach Kurt Rambis attended a recent Spanish ACB League game and "paid special attention to" Tomic.
Multiple basketball-related websites later picked up and disseminated the report, including HoopsHype.com, a Spain-based site that is quite popular among Web-surfing American NBA fans.
It's believed that 23-year-old Tomic does not have an opt-out clause in his current contract for next season, but he could come to the NBA in time for the 2011-12 season.
Contributing: Jody Genessy
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 33
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 18