Utah Utes football: QB recruit's scholarship suspended due to charges
SALT LAKE CITY — Tyler Shreve, an 18-year-old California quarterback who signed a letter of intent with the University of Utah on Feb. 3, has had his scholarship suspended indefinitely. Shreve faces misdemeanor battery charges after allegedly assaulting his high school baseball coach in an incident on Feb. 24.
"Tyler will not be a member of our football team this fall," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement on Wednesday. "We have laid out specific guidelines and expectations that Tyler will need to follow in order for him to receive reconsideration to join our program in January."
The Utah sports information office said it's the only statement Whittingham will be making on the situation.
Shreve was expelled from Redlands Easy Valley High School on March 4 when he was formally charged with attacking coach James Cordes. Shreve reportedly wrestled Cordes to the ground when told he was being dismissed from the team.
Shreve's attorney entered a not guilty plea on May 13. A pretrial hearing is set for May 27.
In March, Shreve told ESPN.com that he was enrolled in a community school and on target to graduate. Shreve, a highly touted baseball player projected to go as high as the second round, also acknowledged Utah's support during his troubles.
"Utah's been there for me. They've helped me throughout this whole thing," Shreve said in the ESPN.com report. "I'm still hoping to get drafted. But yeah, Utah's been supportive through this whole thing. They've totally stood by me and had my back."
Shreve, a 6-foot-3, 218-pound quarterback who originally committed to Colorado State, threw for 1,931 yards as a senior. He passed for 22 touchdowns and was intercepted just twice.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 39
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23