Utah Utes football: QB recruit's scholarship suspended due to charges
SALT LAKE CITY — Tyler Shreve, an 18-year-old California quarterback who signed a letter of intent with the University of Utah on Feb. 3, has had his scholarship suspended indefinitely. Shreve faces misdemeanor battery charges after allegedly assaulting his high school baseball coach in an incident on Feb. 24.
"Tyler will not be a member of our football team this fall," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement on Wednesday. "We have laid out specific guidelines and expectations that Tyler will need to follow in order for him to receive reconsideration to join our program in January."
The Utah sports information office said it's the only statement Whittingham will be making on the situation.
Shreve was expelled from Redlands Easy Valley High School on March 4 when he was formally charged with attacking coach James Cordes. Shreve reportedly wrestled Cordes to the ground when told he was being dismissed from the team.
Shreve's attorney entered a not guilty plea on May 13. A pretrial hearing is set for May 27.
In March, Shreve told ESPN.com that he was enrolled in a community school and on target to graduate. Shreve, a highly touted baseball player projected to go as high as the second round, also acknowledged Utah's support during his troubles.
"Utah's been there for me. They've helped me throughout this whole thing," Shreve said in the ESPN.com report. "I'm still hoping to get drafted. But yeah, Utah's been supportive through this whole thing. They've totally stood by me and had my back."
Shreve, a 6-foot-3, 218-pound quarterback who originally committed to Colorado State, threw for 1,931 yards as a senior. He passed for 22 touchdowns and was intercepted just twice.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25