Utah Utes football: QB recruit's scholarship suspended due to charges
SALT LAKE CITY — Tyler Shreve, an 18-year-old California quarterback who signed a letter of intent with the University of Utah on Feb. 3, has had his scholarship suspended indefinitely. Shreve faces misdemeanor battery charges after allegedly assaulting his high school baseball coach in an incident on Feb. 24.
"Tyler will not be a member of our football team this fall," Utah coach Kyle Whittingham said in a released statement on Wednesday. "We have laid out specific guidelines and expectations that Tyler will need to follow in order for him to receive reconsideration to join our program in January."
The Utah sports information office said it's the only statement Whittingham will be making on the situation.
Shreve was expelled from Redlands Easy Valley High School on March 4 when he was formally charged with attacking coach James Cordes. Shreve reportedly wrestled Cordes to the ground when told he was being dismissed from the team.
Shreve's attorney entered a not guilty plea on May 13. A pretrial hearing is set for May 27.
In March, Shreve told ESPN.com that he was enrolled in a community school and on target to graduate. Shreve, a highly touted baseball player projected to go as high as the second round, also acknowledged Utah's support during his troubles.
"Utah's been there for me. They've helped me throughout this whole thing," Shreve said in the ESPN.com report. "I'm still hoping to get drafted. But yeah, Utah's been supportive through this whole thing. They've totally stood by me and had my back."
Shreve, a 6-foot-3, 218-pound quarterback who originally committed to Colorado State, threw for 1,931 yards as a senior. He passed for 22 touchdowns and was intercepted just twice.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 82
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 62
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 27
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 20