WEST VALLEY CITY — The Granger Lancers pulled off the upset of the 5A state soccer tournament, upending top-ranked Alta 4-3 in a shootout on Friday after the game ended deadlocked at 1-1.
"We had no doubt at that point," Granger head coach Hyrum Okeson said. "We've known Anel was going to be our fifth kicker all along. Mentally, he's very strong and confident."
Lancers' goalie Michael Argumedo set the tone for the shootout by saving the first attempt with a diving stop to the right side.
"The first kicker is very, very important, and I'm glad Michael was able to get to that one because it relieved some of the pressure," Okeson said.
Alta's second attempt sailed over the goal, but the Hawks were able to convert their final three attempts to put all the pressure on Dervisevic with the shootout tied at 3-3.
"I've been fantasizing about this for a good year and I knew exactly where I was going to kick it," Dervisevic said. "This is one of the best moments of my life."
The Lancers had to battle back into the game after Alta attacked first. With just under 10 minutes left in the first half, the Hawks began to get more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. Alex Lawhun scored for Alta with two minutes remaining in the half by placing a header to the back corner of the net.
Elias Hatungimana equalized for Granger 10 minutes into the second half when he outran Alta's defense to a ball flying down the field and pushed it past the goalie.
Alta dominated the first overtime but couldn't capitalize on multiple attempts at the goal.
"I was sick at that point," Okeson said. "Alta is very good in the air and they're taller than us, so they were getting good looks. We worked on that, though, and we were prepared."
The Lancers will now face the Davis Darts at 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday at Woods Cross in the semifinals.
"We've stepped up," Dervisevic added. "All our starters are back, so we weren't intimidated at all. We're ready for anything now."
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Brad Rock: Utah Jazz still don't have the...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 285
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 77
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 49
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 40
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37