WEST VALLEY CITY — The Granger Lancers pulled off the upset of the 5A state soccer tournament, upending top-ranked Alta 4-3 in a shootout on Friday after the game ended deadlocked at 1-1.
"We had no doubt at that point," Granger head coach Hyrum Okeson said. "We've known Anel was going to be our fifth kicker all along. Mentally, he's very strong and confident."
Lancers' goalie Michael Argumedo set the tone for the shootout by saving the first attempt with a diving stop to the right side.
"The first kicker is very, very important, and I'm glad Michael was able to get to that one because it relieved some of the pressure," Okeson said.
Alta's second attempt sailed over the goal, but the Hawks were able to convert their final three attempts to put all the pressure on Dervisevic with the shootout tied at 3-3.
"I've been fantasizing about this for a good year and I knew exactly where I was going to kick it," Dervisevic said. "This is one of the best moments of my life."
The Lancers had to battle back into the game after Alta attacked first. With just under 10 minutes left in the first half, the Hawks began to get more aggressive on the offensive side of the ball. Alex Lawhun scored for Alta with two minutes remaining in the half by placing a header to the back corner of the net.
Elias Hatungimana equalized for Granger 10 minutes into the second half when he outran Alta's defense to a ball flying down the field and pushed it past the goalie.
Alta dominated the first overtime but couldn't capitalize on multiple attempts at the goal.
"I was sick at that point," Okeson said. "Alta is very good in the air and they're taller than us, so they were getting good looks. We worked on that, though, and we were prepared."
The Lancers will now face the Davis Darts at 4:15 p.m. on Tuesday at Woods Cross in the semifinals.
"We've stepped up," Dervisevic added. "All our starters are back, so we weren't intimidated at all. We're ready for anything now."
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep Utah...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah football notes: Utes roll out the red...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 64
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 21
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15