MEN'S GOLF: Robbie Fillmore was named to the 2009-10 All-Mountain West Conference Team, marking the second such award for the Cougar senior. Fillmore led the team and ranked second in the MWC in stroke average at 71.30.
"It feels great to be honored," said Fillmore. "It's been a great season, and it's nice to be considered among the best golfers in the conference."
Fillmore capped off his prolific BYU career with his second all- conference award, adding to the honor he won as a sophomore in 2007-08. Fillmore was also named the MWC Freshman of the Year in 2006.
This season, the Salt Lake City, Utah, native posted the first tournament victory of his career at the Fresno State Lexus Classic, beating out 99 other golfers for a one-shot victory on the first playoff hole. Fillmore had four other top-5 finishes and finished seven of 10 events at even par or under. He achieved a low round of 65 at the Pacific Invitational and led the Cougars in seven tournaments overall, including six of the last seven events of the year.
Fillmore will have another chance to continue his Cougar career at NCAA Regionals May 20-22.
SOFTBALL: National home run leader Angeline Quiocho belted her 27th round tripper Wednesday as No. 25 BYU (42-11 overall, 11-3 MWC) defeated Utah Valley (27-26 overall, 13-7 PCSC) 11-0 at Gail Miller Field.
"It's been great to have her (Quiocho) playing the way she's capable of," said head coach Gordon Eakin. "She has brought a big boost lately to an already solid lineup."
With that home run, Quiocho, who also leads the country in RBI and RBI per game, notched her 82nd RBI and her 31st extra base hit of the season.
After giving up a lead off hit to start the game, junior Paige Affleck found her groove in the circle, surrendering no more Wolverine base runners in her three innings of work. Affleck collected her 29th win of the season.
"We always want to have solid pitching, defense and hitting," Eakin said. "I am proud of our kids for competing the way they did."
Senior Andrea Ramirez also belted a home run in the seven-run third inning for the Cougars. The shot was her 18th home run and her 63rd RBI of the season.
The Cougars finish regular season play Saturday as they face-off against Utah in the final Deseret Duel matchup of the year. The Cougars are 2-0 against the Utes this season and hold a 28-17 record all-time against the Utes.
First pitch is set for 1 p.m. in Salt Lake City. The game will be broadcast live on The mtn.
- San Francisco coach apologizes for postgame...
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a...
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early lead,...
- WCC Championship game tale of the tape, BYU...
- BYU football: Cougar corner Trent Trammell...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San Francisco...
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth's knee...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Cougars outlast San... 86
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 74
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 63
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 52
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 32
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24