When she first got to Provo, she missed a track practice because it was too cold and she didn't bring a jacket and stayed in her apartment. The coaches called to find out what was going on, and when she explained, the staff nicknamed her the "Squirrel." Later they started calling her "Princess."
A lot of sprinters have an air about them, but even with the name of "Princess," Poole says his star is pretty down to earth.
"She doesn't strut her feathers," Poole said. "She is a team player and goes out of her way to help younger athletes and teammates."
One of her favorite races of her life took place in New York City during the indoor season this winter, when she anchored that school record 4x100 relay team.
"We weren't expected to place at all and got in a fast heat with Tennessee and South Carolina," she said. "We were in last place when I got the baton. If you've ever been in the Armory in New York, you'll understand the atmosphere, with music and people cheering. I caught the front-runner at the finish line and we took first, and with that 10 points, we ended up second to Texas A&M in the meet."
McClurkin's legacy at BYU may live beyond her eligibility, which ends at the NCAAs. She has a cousin whom many describe as her clone in Brighton sprinter Aubrey Hale, who has accepted a scholarship from the Cougars. Hale, an 11.85 sprinter in the 100, also runs the 200 and could win both this weekend at the state 5A track championships.
"I have a journal downstairs," said Hale, "and when I was little, I wrote in it that I wanted to run track at BYU just like Mindy. I wanted to be Mindy. I love her. She is my favorite cousin, and I just love her to death. I've always looked up to her and wanted to be like her all my life."
Aubrey was on vacation with Mindy when Mindy got her phone call and offer from BYU for a scholarship five years ago.
"When I got that call, I felt she was living my dream, and now we're living both our dreams," said Hale, who claims she and her older cousin have the same personalities.
"She's smart, but we're also a little ditzy when it comes to real-life stuff. I feel like the coaches are going to get a second Mindy when I come down. Hopefully, that will be fun."
BYU could always use a "Princess II."
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 133
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 55
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 39
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 36
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 27
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 25
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under... 18