When she first got to Provo, she missed a track practice because it was too cold and she didn't bring a jacket and stayed in her apartment. The coaches called to find out what was going on, and when she explained, the staff nicknamed her the "Squirrel." Later they started calling her "Princess."
A lot of sprinters have an air about them, but even with the name of "Princess," Poole says his star is pretty down to earth.
"She doesn't strut her feathers," Poole said. "She is a team player and goes out of her way to help younger athletes and teammates."
One of her favorite races of her life took place in New York City during the indoor season this winter, when she anchored that school record 4x100 relay team.
"We weren't expected to place at all and got in a fast heat with Tennessee and South Carolina," she said. "We were in last place when I got the baton. If you've ever been in the Armory in New York, you'll understand the atmosphere, with music and people cheering. I caught the front-runner at the finish line and we took first, and with that 10 points, we ended up second to Texas A&M in the meet."
McClurkin's legacy at BYU may live beyond her eligibility, which ends at the NCAAs. She has a cousin whom many describe as her clone in Brighton sprinter Aubrey Hale, who has accepted a scholarship from the Cougars. Hale, an 11.85 sprinter in the 100, also runs the 200 and could win both this weekend at the state 5A track championships.
"I have a journal downstairs," said Hale, "and when I was little, I wrote in it that I wanted to run track at BYU just like Mindy. I wanted to be Mindy. I love her. She is my favorite cousin, and I just love her to death. I've always looked up to her and wanted to be like her all my life."
Aubrey was on vacation with Mindy when Mindy got her phone call and offer from BYU for a scholarship five years ago.
"When I got that call, I felt she was living my dream, and now we're living both our dreams," said Hale, who claims she and her older cousin have the same personalities.
"She's smart, but we're also a little ditzy when it comes to real-life stuff. I feel like the coaches are going to get a second Mindy when I come down. Hopefully, that will be fun."
BYU could always use a "Princess II."
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16