SALT LAKE CITY — A gold medal-winning Olympian in 2008, Deron Williams wants to play this summer for Team USA at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.
Whether he does or not will depend mostly on one very important body part.
That would be his shooting wrist, which was so badly sprained and bruised in early January that it caused him to miss two games then.
"I've got to take some time off and see how my wrist feels," the Jazz's All-Star point guard said Tuesday, one day after Utah's postseason ended with a second-round NBA playoff series loss to the defending NBA-champion Los Angeles Lakers.
"I want to play," Williams added. "But right now they (Jazz officials) told me to rest my wrist, see how it feels after a month, month-and-a-half."
USA Basketball has a training camp planned for mid-July in Las Vegas, and Williams hopes to be ready for it.
Asked if surgery would be needed if the wrist doesn't feel better by then, Williams said, "I hope not."
"The last thing I want to do is have surgery," he said. "So I've just got to rest it first, and hopefully that takes care of it and I can play."
Being on the team that goes to Turkey is important to Williams, who wants to be one of the USA's primary points for the 2012 Olympics in London — and who knows that for various reasons that national team could possibly be without superstars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade this summer.
"I think there's a lot more guys that aren't going to play, to tell you the truth," Williams said. "So, we'll see. We'll see how it goes.
"I've got a lot of time right now. I don't have to report until July, and if I wanted to I don't think I even need to play in that."
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 163
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 70
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 33
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 20
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 20