SALT LAKE CITY — A gold medal-winning Olympian in 2008, Deron Williams wants to play this summer for Team USA at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.
Whether he does or not will depend mostly on one very important body part.
That would be his shooting wrist, which was so badly sprained and bruised in early January that it caused him to miss two games then.
"I've got to take some time off and see how my wrist feels," the Jazz's All-Star point guard said Tuesday, one day after Utah's postseason ended with a second-round NBA playoff series loss to the defending NBA-champion Los Angeles Lakers.
"I want to play," Williams added. "But right now they (Jazz officials) told me to rest my wrist, see how it feels after a month, month-and-a-half."
USA Basketball has a training camp planned for mid-July in Las Vegas, and Williams hopes to be ready for it.
Asked if surgery would be needed if the wrist doesn't feel better by then, Williams said, "I hope not."
"The last thing I want to do is have surgery," he said. "So I've just got to rest it first, and hopefully that takes care of it and I can play."
Being on the team that goes to Turkey is important to Williams, who wants to be one of the USA's primary points for the 2012 Olympics in London — and who knows that for various reasons that national team could possibly be without superstars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade this summer.
"I think there's a lot more guys that aren't going to play, to tell you the truth," Williams said. "So, we'll see. We'll see how it goes.
"I've got a lot of time right now. I don't have to report until July, and if I wanted to I don't think I even need to play in that."
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48