SALT LAKE CITY — A gold medal-winning Olympian in 2008, Deron Williams wants to play this summer for Team USA at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey.
Whether he does or not will depend mostly on one very important body part.
That would be his shooting wrist, which was so badly sprained and bruised in early January that it caused him to miss two games then.
"I've got to take some time off and see how my wrist feels," the Jazz's All-Star point guard said Tuesday, one day after Utah's postseason ended with a second-round NBA playoff series loss to the defending NBA-champion Los Angeles Lakers.
"I want to play," Williams added. "But right now they (Jazz officials) told me to rest my wrist, see how it feels after a month, month-and-a-half."
USA Basketball has a training camp planned for mid-July in Las Vegas, and Williams hopes to be ready for it.
Asked if surgery would be needed if the wrist doesn't feel better by then, Williams said, "I hope not."
"The last thing I want to do is have surgery," he said. "So I've just got to rest it first, and hopefully that takes care of it and I can play."
Being on the team that goes to Turkey is important to Williams, who wants to be one of the USA's primary points for the 2012 Olympics in London — and who knows that for various reasons that national team could possibly be without superstars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade this summer.
"I think there's a lot more guys that aren't going to play, to tell you the truth," Williams said. "So, we'll see. We'll see how it goes.
"I've got a lot of time right now. I don't have to report until July, and if I wanted to I don't think I even need to play in that."
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Deseret News 2014...
- Utah football fall practice position preview:...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 128
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 94
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 73
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 68
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 32