PAYSON — Utah County planners are discussing new roads, including another freeway, to move people in and out of the south Utah County area and avoid "another Lehi."
State Route 73 through Lehi became congested when residential development in the northwest Utah County cities of Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs overwhelmed the existing highway.
A new freeway may spin off Pioneer Crossing, a road under construction now to alleviate northwest Utah County traffic, then head south on the west side of state Route 68 and loop back to I-15 south of Santaquin. It could become part of the Mountain View Corridor planned for the west side of Salt Lake City.
Just where it would intersect with I-15 still is undecided, Utah County Commissioner Larry Ellertson said Tuesday at the ninth annual Nebo Economic Summit. Some critics of the plan have suggested that the new freeway extend to Mona in Juab County.
Additionally, Santaquin officials are looking for land to build another access to the Goshen Valley from I-15 to avoid the kind of congestion Lehi is experiencing now.
— Rodger L. Hardy
- Woman dies, husband critically injured in...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- The truth about addiction
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters gather...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- Man injured in police shooting identified
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 68
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 49
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 23
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19