PAYSON — Utah County planners are discussing new roads, including another freeway, to move people in and out of the south Utah County area and avoid "another Lehi."
State Route 73 through Lehi became congested when residential development in the northwest Utah County cities of Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs overwhelmed the existing highway.
A new freeway may spin off Pioneer Crossing, a road under construction now to alleviate northwest Utah County traffic, then head south on the west side of state Route 68 and loop back to I-15 south of Santaquin. It could become part of the Mountain View Corridor planned for the west side of Salt Lake City.
Just where it would intersect with I-15 still is undecided, Utah County Commissioner Larry Ellertson said Tuesday at the ninth annual Nebo Economic Summit. Some critics of the plan have suggested that the new freeway extend to Mona in Juab County.
Additionally, Santaquin officials are looking for land to build another access to the Goshen Valley from I-15 to avoid the kind of congestion Lehi is experiencing now.
— Rodger L. Hardy
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 20