PAYSON — Utah County planners are discussing new roads, including another freeway, to move people in and out of the south Utah County area and avoid "another Lehi."
State Route 73 through Lehi became congested when residential development in the northwest Utah County cities of Eagle Mountain and Saratoga Springs overwhelmed the existing highway.
A new freeway may spin off Pioneer Crossing, a road under construction now to alleviate northwest Utah County traffic, then head south on the west side of state Route 68 and loop back to I-15 south of Santaquin. It could become part of the Mountain View Corridor planned for the west side of Salt Lake City.
Just where it would intersect with I-15 still is undecided, Utah County Commissioner Larry Ellertson said Tuesday at the ninth annual Nebo Economic Summit. Some critics of the plan have suggested that the new freeway extend to Mona in Juab County.
Additionally, Santaquin officials are looking for land to build another access to the Goshen Valley from I-15 to avoid the kind of congestion Lehi is experiencing now.
— Rodger L. Hardy
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Utah can't arrest its way out of heroin, pain...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21