on a wig and a dress and entered a rodeo queen contest — and won; of a
girl who tried to fly by jumping out of a treehouse with an umbrella; of
a boy who wanted to dangle his feet off the edge of a hay wagon, but
when he stood up to move to the edge, \"I flew off and landed in the cow
Write those stories down, said Hibben.
\"Right now, they seem really clear in your mind, but years from now, you
might not remember.\"
Earlier at the genealogical conference,
author and historian David McCullough also talked about the importance
of teaching kids family history and history in general. He learned what a
poor job we are doing of teaching history, he said, when a California
college student asked him, \"Other than John Adams and President (Harry
S.) Truman, how many presidents have you interviewed?\"
begins at home, he said. \"When I was young, every night my father would
come home, and we'd sit around the dinner table. We talked of the
history of Pittsburgh. We talked about the history of our family.\"
History is not just military events and
politics, said McCullough. \"It is human beings, and it's anything buy
dry, dull and tedious. We've got to show our children and grandchildren
how much we care about it. What matters most is attitude, and that is
not taught; it is caught. Learn about what you love, and then share that
love.\" Family history, he said, is a great place to start.
After all, it's your heritage. That's
also what the National Genealogical Society wants kids to know, and
this, as well:
Deep in the past lie the roots of today.From our distant beginning, we grow to
form the future.
Learn about your ancestors, so you can
Their joys and dreams,
Their struggles and sacrifices,
The great and simple things they did so
You can live today.
They are your heritage.
Here you stand, in the promise of the
What great tree will grow from your life?
To encourage and recognize the next
generation of family historians, the National Genealogical Society has
established the Rubincam Youth Award. Students are invited to submit
original, written biographies and genealogies in two categories: seniors
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues father...
- UTubers: Mother of 35 adopted special needs...
- The Clean Cut: Coldplay, Michael J. Fox play...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Chris Hicks: Several vintage movies make...
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Kids live to tell the...
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can you...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Daughter Ivanka Trump raises issues... 21
- Stephen Colbert is back to take on the... 9
- Doug Robinson: Why this mother of four... 5
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful... 3
- Chris Hicks: Movies to watch over the... 3
- 'Glamping': What is it and where can... 2
- Controversy and chaos erupt during... 2
- UTubers: Mother of 35 adopted special... 1