SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates were kind to some, not so kind to others at the state convention Saturday.
Gov. Gary Herbert remained in good graces, easily winning the GOP nomination with 71 percent of delegate votes against three opponents. Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, did even better in the 1st Congressional District with 93 percent to earn the nomination. Third District Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, faced no opposition.
In a surprisingly close contest in the 2nd Congressional District, former state representative Morgan Philpot won the GOP nomination with 60.13 percent of the delegate vote. Neil Walter barely missed getting into a primary, with 39.87 percent (40 percent gets a candidate into a primary). Philpot will face the winner of the Democratic primary June 22 between Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, and Claudia Wright.
Sen. Bob Bennett wasn't the only incumbent with problems in the convention.
State Rep. Ben Ferry, R-Corinne, was kicked out of office by Lee B. Perry, in House District 2; Rep. Mel Brown, R-Kamas, was forced into a primary by Jon Hellander (Brown finished second), in House District 53; as was Rep. Becky Edwards, R-Bountiful, with D.J. Schanz, in House District 20.
The other legislative incumbents on the ballot Saturday won re-nomination with more than 60 percent of the vote. In open seats, David Butterfield won the GOP nomination in House District 4, Rick Raile in House District 25, and Daniel Thatcher in Senate District 12.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Women innovators leading by example
- Pleasant Grove homeowner shoot, kills man in...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 33
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 15
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 13
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 11
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9