SALT LAKE CITY — Republican delegates were kind to some, not so kind to others at the state convention Saturday.
Gov. Gary Herbert remained in good graces, easily winning the GOP nomination with 71 percent of delegate votes against three opponents. Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, did even better in the 1st Congressional District with 93 percent to earn the nomination. Third District Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, faced no opposition.
In a surprisingly close contest in the 2nd Congressional District, former state representative Morgan Philpot won the GOP nomination with 60.13 percent of the delegate vote. Neil Walter barely missed getting into a primary, with 39.87 percent (40 percent gets a candidate into a primary). Philpot will face the winner of the Democratic primary June 22 between Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, and Claudia Wright.
Sen. Bob Bennett wasn't the only incumbent with problems in the convention.
State Rep. Ben Ferry, R-Corinne, was kicked out of office by Lee B. Perry, in House District 2; Rep. Mel Brown, R-Kamas, was forced into a primary by Jon Hellander (Brown finished second), in House District 53; as was Rep. Becky Edwards, R-Bountiful, with D.J. Schanz, in House District 20.
The other legislative incumbents on the ballot Saturday won re-nomination with more than 60 percent of the vote. In open seats, David Butterfield won the GOP nomination in House District 4, Rick Raile in House District 25, and Daniel Thatcher in Senate District 12.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Sandy mailman's plea for books gets worldwide...
- Utah natives receive rave reviews, make 'So...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 289
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 128
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 101
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 88
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 73
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35