Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Sylvia Mathis - Ensign and Wasatch Elementary
After about 30 years of teaching, the Huntsman award is the perfect retirement send off for Sylvia Mathis.
"I've had a lot of wonderful experiences with teaching," she said, "but it's time to turn some new pages, try some new things."
Mathis works as an extended-learning-program teacher at Ensign and Wasatch elementary schools in Salt Lake City. Throughout the day, she runs from classroom to classroom, school to school, working with gifted students in grades four, five, and six. Mathis said she works particularly hard to help students embrace mathematics.
"It's fun to watch them become more confident with what they do," Mathis said.
In her spare time, she coaches elementary-through-high-school students through the rigorous International Future Problem Solving competition. In this competition, students study five emerging world issues and their potential impact on future generations. These are no easy topics — some examples include the redistribution of wealth, child labor and artificial economies.
"It's so hard for them to get started on it, to work throughout the fall," she said, "but by spring it's just amazing what they can do and what they can write and how it affects their communication skills."
When she received the award, it came as a shock. "I truly thought it was a dream, it was just so unreal," Mathis said. "It was just a total and complete shock and surprise."
How do you keep your students on track and learning despite today's challenges such as bullying, gang violence and digital distractions?
"I just think you have to make them understand how important learning is, make it exciting for them and make it interesting."
— Elise Bassett
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Flooding at BYU cancels Thursday afternoon...
- This class may be the key to lowering...
- State School Board confirms interim...
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- Public will soon see 125-million-year-old...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 32
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 25
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 14
- Kids' brains reorganize when learning... 7
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 4
- Public will soon see... 3
- Measuring the impact of a MOOC course... 2