Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Larry Litizzette - Mountain Crest High School
Larry Litizzette's past job experiences and adventures have helped to mold him into the teacher he is today.
With a resume that includes river guiding and a degree in fishery biology, Litizzette understands the importance of teaching with a hands-on approach in order to relate classroom material to the real world.
"I've had a number of field experiences," Litizzette said. "I ended up learning a lot about the natural world and use a lot of that information in my classes as I'm teaching."
For Litizzette and his biology students at Mountain Crest High School in Hyrum, a normal week may involve a walk out to collect insects, a visit to the river to study aquatic anemology, or even a rare trip down to Southern Utah to study geology and ecology.
Not exactly your typical high school experience.
Then again, for someone who thinks of his students so highly, it should come as no surprise that Litizzette's students get what many would consider special treatment.
"I try to identify students that maybe don't think they have the ability to pursue a career in science," Litizzette said. "Quite often they are girls, because they don't even think about that as a potential career."
Along with always looking to encourage his students, Litizzette knows that the youths of today's world have more upside than many perceive.
"I think it's one of the big misconceptions of society that kids are a lot worse today than back in my day," Litizzette said. "Skills may change with technology, but I'm seeing the same kids."
- 11 states, including Utah, sue over Obama's...
- Art Briles built Baylor brash, bold, leaves...
- National Spelling Bee co-champions include...
- 17-year-old gets degree in biology, physics...
- Should all schools in a district be funded...
- Bomb threats called in to 2 Utah schools
- Baptist college decides to fire its president...
- Utah STEM Action Center establishes...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- 11 states, including Utah, sue over... 16
- Should all schools in a district be... 13
- U. study shows how huge landslide... 2
- Baptist college decides to fire its... 1
- State, education leaders gear up for... 1
- Manti senior conquers classes and cancer 1