Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Larry Litizzette - Mountain Crest High School
Larry Litizzette's past job experiences and adventures have helped to mold him into the teacher he is today.
With a resume that includes river guiding and a degree in fishery biology, Litizzette understands the importance of teaching with a hands-on approach in order to relate classroom material to the real world.
"I've had a number of field experiences," Litizzette said. "I ended up learning a lot about the natural world and use a lot of that information in my classes as I'm teaching."
For Litizzette and his biology students at Mountain Crest High School in Hyrum, a normal week may involve a walk out to collect insects, a visit to the river to study aquatic anemology, or even a rare trip down to Southern Utah to study geology and ecology.
Not exactly your typical high school experience.
Then again, for someone who thinks of his students so highly, it should come as no surprise that Litizzette's students get what many would consider special treatment.
"I try to identify students that maybe don't think they have the ability to pursue a career in science," Litizzette said. "Quite often they are girls, because they don't even think about that as a potential career."
Along with always looking to encourage his students, Litizzette knows that the youths of today's world have more upside than many perceive.
"I think it's one of the big misconceptions of society that kids are a lot worse today than back in my day," Litizzette said. "Skills may change with technology, but I'm seeing the same kids."
- Chronic absence a 'huge contributor' to...
- University of Utah homecoming week kicks off
- Memorial dedicated to community activist...
- Entrada Adult High School hosting open house
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- North Carolina court stops part of order...
- Utah senator aims to bring computer coding to...
- Top 15 states for education
- Lawmakers, business leaders back bill... 8
- Chronic absence a 'huge contributor' to... 6
- House approves early childhood... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- Utah senator aims to bring computer... 3
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with... 2
- Top 15 states for education 2
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for... 2