Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Ron Wicks - American Fork Junior High School
With two bachelor's degrees and a master's degree, Ron Wicks might seem like a lifelong scholar. But Wicks admits he wasn't always the perfect student in high school. Not long after his high school days, he dived into school with the same passion he tries to stir in his students. Wicks teaches at American Fork Junior High School, where he's qualified to teach history, art, literature, English and German. This year Wicks has taken on seven classes with scattered subjects.
Once when meeting a fellow teacher at American Fork, Wicks asked, "What do you teach?" and the new teacher responded "English and geography." When the teacher asked Wicks what it was that he taught, he replied, "I teach children."
In his 29 years as an educator, Wicks' techniques were always a bit different from the norm. One year on the first day of school, Wicks set an oil can and a blanket at the front of the class. For three days the oil can and blanket were ignored before a student finally stopped and asked him why they were there. The lesson: Don't accept things the way they are. Ask questions.
How do you keep your students on track and learning despite today's challenges such as bullying, gang violence and digital distractions?
"I have good kids," Wicks said, a teacher who focuses on engaging the classroom beyond the everyday distractions. As proof, Wicks described his students' efforts to raise money to buy tents for Haitians whose homes were destroyed. The students raised nearly $3,000 for Haitians.
- With so many free and cheap online courses...
- A new way to prevent date rape
- City library, school district partner to...
- Can Draper afford to save a historic piece of...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and...
- Why Zzz's get degrees: The case for later...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core just...
- California appeals teacher tenure ruling
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Lawmaker's proposal would offer free... 14
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Why Zzz's get degrees: The case for... 5
- University of Phoenix founder dies,... 4