Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Sheldon J. 'Pat' Case - Timpanogos Intermediate School
After 44 years as an educator, both in the classroom and behind the scenes, Sheldon Case is well known throughout his school district in Heber, where he works hard to improve Timpanogos Intermediate School. He is better known as Sheldon "Pat" Case in his school. As principal, Case is responsible for helping open the two most recently opened schools in his district, pulling together staff and faculty into a team of educators.
At one point in Case's earlier career, at his school of 700 students, 300 students earned failing grades. Case tackled the issue by implementing a lunch study hall that allowed teachers to touch base with students over lunch and work on reinforcing material from the classroom. By the end of the term, failing grades among the student body dropped to 23 students.
Another program designed and implemented by Case is his Power Up Program, which encourages more physical activity among students from traditional intramural sports to break dancing. Another physical fitness initiative of Case's includes his walk-a-thon. He encourages students to raise money for the walk-a-thon, then that money is used later in the year to reward students for good behavior or grades.
How do you keep your students on track and learning despite today's challenges such as bullying, gang violence and digital distractions?
"I have found a way to help children to become successful in their academics, and the more successful they are in academics, the less discipline, the less bullying I have in the classroom and on the playground."
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- This class may be the key to lowering...
- Flooding at BYU cancels Thursday afternoon...
- State School Board confirms interim...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Canyons Students come back to school in style
- Public will soon see 125-million-year-old...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 14
- Kids' brains reorganize when learning... 7
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 6
- Public will soon see... 3
- Measuring the impact of a MOOC course... 2
- Canyons School District announces new... 2