Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Lars Johnson - Gunnison Valley High School
When Lars Johnson was a boy, he never imagined he'd follow in the footsteps of his father, a physics and chemistry teacher.
In fact, Johnson had no desire to teach. Instead, he wanted to be a mining engineer.
Now, 22 years later, Johnson finds himself exactly mirroring his father's footsteps, as he has spent the last two decades teaching physics and chemistry at Gunnison Valley High School.
"I tried very hard not to be a teacher," Johnson said. "My father was a teacher, I saw what he did and there was no way that I was going to do it."
Luckily for Johnson, he didn't allow for his prejudice to dissuade him from deciding to do something he was very good at.
Johnson found his passion for teaching during his college days while tutoring.
"I found out that I was quite good at it and actually enjoyed it," Johnson said of his talent. "I ended up switching careers three times to become a teacher and have enjoyed it ever since."
Johnson teaches physics and chemistry and is the faculty adviser who oversees the National Honor Society and student government.
Doing a little extra is something Johnson is willing to do, especially when it comes to strengthening students leadership and service skills.
But when speaking of lifelong skills, nothing may come as priority more so than accountability for Johnson.
"Lars' strengths are so many, it is difficult to list them all," said parent Kathy Frandsen.
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- Top 15 states for education
- Millennials read more books than their...
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with everyone,...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Lawmakers, business leaders back bill...
- University of Utah professor to receive...
- Utah senator aims to bring computer coding to...
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- Lawmakers, business leaders back bill... 7
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- Bridging the gap: Can empathy be taught? 3
- Va. student seeks right to use... 2
- Will year-round classes help curb the... 2
- Scholarship lotteries, popular with... 2
- Top 15 states for education 2