Huntsman Awards for Excellence in Education: Lars Johnson - Gunnison Valley High School
When Lars Johnson was a boy, he never imagined he'd follow in the footsteps of his father, a physics and chemistry teacher.
In fact, Johnson had no desire to teach. Instead, he wanted to be a mining engineer.
Now, 22 years later, Johnson finds himself exactly mirroring his father's footsteps, as he has spent the last two decades teaching physics and chemistry at Gunnison Valley High School.
"I tried very hard not to be a teacher," Johnson said. "My father was a teacher, I saw what he did and there was no way that I was going to do it."
Luckily for Johnson, he didn't allow for his prejudice to dissuade him from deciding to do something he was very good at.
Johnson found his passion for teaching during his college days while tutoring.
"I found out that I was quite good at it and actually enjoyed it," Johnson said of his talent. "I ended up switching careers three times to become a teacher and have enjoyed it ever since."
Johnson teaches physics and chemistry and is the faculty adviser who oversees the National Honor Society and student government.
Doing a little extra is something Johnson is willing to do, especially when it comes to strengthening students leadership and service skills.
But when speaking of lifelong skills, nothing may come as priority more so than accountability for Johnson.
"Lars' strengths are so many, it is difficult to list them all," said parent Kathy Frandsen.
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Flooding at BYU cancels Thursday afternoon...
- 15 actions families are taking today to make...
- Public will soon see 125-million-year-old...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- State School Board confirms interim...
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- Allow student loan bankruptcies,... 17
- First scores from SAGE testing expected... 15
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 15
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 9
- Public will soon see... 3
- 15 actions families are taking today to... 3