Utah Jazz: Deron Williams thinks it's time to do some freelancing
That takes Williams back full circle. He wants to improvise and do his effective bursts to the basket or quick 3-point shots to keep defenders on their toes, but he also knows the Jazz need to be all the more precise in their set plays to find more success against Fisher and friends.
"We have to do a better job executing," Williams re-emphasized. "They know all of our plays. Derek knows all of our plays by heart. They sit on them. They try to take them away. We've got to do a better job of screening, executing, just get good looks.
"I don't think we've executed extremely well. We haven't screened well at all," he added. "So if they know a play and we're not running it hard, it makes things more difficult."
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan acknowledges the Lakers height does play a large factor in making things difficult on Williams as well as the rest of the Jazz.
"Their size inside — it's tough to get on top of the basket," Sloan replied when asked about specific challenges Williams faces against L.A. "It's a really difficult thing because they protect the basket very well. They're big and long and that makes a big difference."
But Sloan, not surprisingly, believes beating the Lakers and improving is a team thing, not a Williams thing.
"We need every single person that steps on the floor to play well," Sloan said. "That's about the only way we've ever had a chance to win, and (Williams is) certainly no different as far as that's concerned, because we need him to play well and all of the other people as well."
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 59
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 29
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28