Utah Jazz: Deron Williams thinks it's time to do some freelancing
That takes Williams back full circle. He wants to improvise and do his effective bursts to the basket or quick 3-point shots to keep defenders on their toes, but he also knows the Jazz need to be all the more precise in their set plays to find more success against Fisher and friends.
"We have to do a better job executing," Williams re-emphasized. "They know all of our plays. Derek knows all of our plays by heart. They sit on them. They try to take them away. We've got to do a better job of screening, executing, just get good looks.
"I don't think we've executed extremely well. We haven't screened well at all," he added. "So if they know a play and we're not running it hard, it makes things more difficult."
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan acknowledges the Lakers height does play a large factor in making things difficult on Williams as well as the rest of the Jazz.
"Their size inside — it's tough to get on top of the basket," Sloan replied when asked about specific challenges Williams faces against L.A. "It's a really difficult thing because they protect the basket very well. They're big and long and that makes a big difference."
But Sloan, not surprisingly, believes beating the Lakers and improving is a team thing, not a Williams thing.
"We need every single person that steps on the floor to play well," Sloan said. "That's about the only way we've ever had a chance to win, and (Williams is) certainly no different as far as that's concerned, because we need him to play well and all of the other people as well."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 25
- Utes get it done at home again 21