Utah Jazz: Deron Williams thinks it's time to do some freelancing
That takes Williams back full circle. He wants to improvise and do his effective bursts to the basket or quick 3-point shots to keep defenders on their toes, but he also knows the Jazz need to be all the more precise in their set plays to find more success against Fisher and friends.
"We have to do a better job executing," Williams re-emphasized. "They know all of our plays. Derek knows all of our plays by heart. They sit on them. They try to take them away. We've got to do a better job of screening, executing, just get good looks.
"I don't think we've executed extremely well. We haven't screened well at all," he added. "So if they know a play and we're not running it hard, it makes things more difficult."
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan acknowledges the Lakers height does play a large factor in making things difficult on Williams as well as the rest of the Jazz.
"Their size inside — it's tough to get on top of the basket," Sloan replied when asked about specific challenges Williams faces against L.A. "It's a really difficult thing because they protect the basket very well. They're big and long and that makes a big difference."
But Sloan, not surprisingly, believes beating the Lakers and improving is a team thing, not a Williams thing.
"We need every single person that steps on the floor to play well," Sloan said. "That's about the only way we've ever had a chance to win, and (Williams is) certainly no different as far as that's concerned, because we need him to play well and all of the other people as well."
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 42
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 37
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26